PDA

View Full Version : gun mod question. plz help

srice425
12-11-2012, 09:11 PM
hey guys, i am new to the savage platform and have been doing some searching, but all my results are fairly outdated. just got a 10 fp in .308. i love the gun, but id like to grab a different stock. it is based on a centerfeed mag and has a 24 inch bbl. i know that i dont want the weight of a choate stock and dont really like their bulk. i will be taking the gun hunting as well as range shooting. i was curious what my options were? i dont want a super light one that will not absorb any recoil but, like i said, the choate was too heavy. 7 lbs i believe.

basically im looking for:
cut back vert style grip if possible
stock weight around 2-4 lbs
unfinished or finished doesnt matter as ill be painting it anyway.

can you plz help point me in the right direction (best deal?)

glad to be apart of the forums.

srice425
12-11-2012, 11:14 PM
anyone?

John Model 10
12-12-2012, 12:52 AM
I believe the Choate tactical stock is just over 4.5 pounds. Not sure where you got the 7lbs. from. In any case, check out Bell and Carlson for ready made stocks and Stockade, as well, for a cheaper, custom option (then there's always McMillan and Manners, but they aren't exactly cheap). If you have the centerfeed, your action screws should be the 4.4" spacing, so be sure to order accordingly.

Best of luck,

John

ellobo
12-12-2012, 12:58 AM
At least look at Boyds. I like the Prairy Hunter style for hunting. They have them in walnut and laminates with the laminate a little heavier but I don't think its 8 lbs. They make them for centerfeed now. At under $100 they come as drop ins and you can have it checkered for an extra $50. the checkering is very nice and there are two styles. Their classic stock is nice also designed by John Sundra.

El Lobo.

srice425
12-12-2012, 01:33 AM
are there any options with a detach mag in any of these or do you have to get it from a different company and fit it into the stock choice?

srice425
12-12-2012, 10:11 AM
correction. i have the varmint choate stock. it is 4.5 and id like something about half the weight if possible. id like it to have a vert grip or cutout grip and the hook on the buttstock. the only one ive found close to that is the b and c stock coming in at 3 lbs. are there any others?

txbdyguard
12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I have the Choate tactical with DBM. I haven't weighed it but its nice to hunt with and shoot from the bench

knight_dive
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
The features you are looking for (vert grip, hook on the buttstock, detachable mag) are more commonly found in tactical and varmint style stocks which are generally pretty heavy. One option would be to call Manners or McMillan and see if you can custom order one with a lighter weight filler material, but that's gonna cost some serious coin. Otherwise there aren't very many options besides the fairly typical hunting stocks.

srice425
12-12-2012, 05:12 PM
well, from what i was told by the gal at stockys, was they didnt carry any stocks that would fit the savage that comes with the new accu stock. did i just get a bad rep or is this true and my options limited to choate?

taylorce1
12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Try calling McMillan and ask about the Game Scout or A3 Sporter, the GS isn't offered except single shot or blind mag option and I'm not sure on the A3S. Neither have the hook in the buttstock but both have a vertical grip. I'm pretty sure you can get both with an Edge fill that will have them weighing around 2 lbs, but they'll cost your over $500 to purchase the stock.

Is it the recoil lug of the Accustock rifle that could be the problem with some of stocks from Stocky's? If it is that can be changed easily enough. Have you called Kevin Rayhill yet at Stockaed gun stocks (http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/3.html)? Take a look at his Prairie dog/Tactical stock, I don't know what it weighs though.

srice425
12-12-2012, 07:03 PM
i love the stockade stocks, the only thing is the 16-18 week wait for it.

Nandy
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Seems you have 2 threads about the same problem.. I replied to your other thread, it will be nice if one gets closed that way all the information is in just one thread.

here it goes:
As far as hunting:
Where and what are you hunting? What caliber? What type of hunt do you do (stalk, shoot from a blind)? How far are you expecting to carry the rifle?
I hunt with a gun that weight more than 14 pounds. It has the same stock you are talking about. I dont do any stalking with it, I sit at a determined stand or shooting box and wait for the deer to travel that trail. Stand/boxes are from right where you can park your vehicle right next to it to have a 600 yard walk. I have walked that and quite a bit more and the rifle weight does not bother me but we are not all built the same. If you already have the gun which is sounds you do put it together then go hunt as it is to get a feel. I for one rather have a heavy gun that will help with recoil than a light gun where instead of thinking of breathing and trigger control I am thinking on how hard I am going to get kicked... If I stalked then I would have to find a happy medium.

As far as target shooting:
If you are just target shooting and have no intention of competing the the gun can be as heavy or light as you find it comfortable taking in consideration carrying the rifle and recoil. IF you are looking into doing some benchrest competition or any other type of shooting competition then you need to check the regulations. I dont do any competitive shooting but it is my understanding that in some classes they have weight limits.

srice425
12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
im doing stationary hunting and spot/stalk. very little benchrest. its a .308 savage 10fp

taylorce1
12-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm trying to figure out how you got to 14 lbs with your rifle? The 10FP weighs 8 lbs in the factory stock, so with your 4.5 lbs Choate I'd think you would be around 10-10.5 lbs before scope. What have you added to get the additional 3.5-4 lbs on the rifle. I have a 26" Heavy Varmint Stevens 200 in .243, in HS Precision stock off the 10 FCP, with a Weaver Tactical 3.5-10X40 scope and it weighs in at 11.5 lbs before bipod, sling and bullets.

Another thing the 10FP isn't listed as an Accustock model, so if you are saying you have an Accustock I don't think you are correct. 16-18 weeks is a pretty standard wait time on most custom things these days such as stocks and rifle barrels. So it is either settle for something on hand and available now or wait for someone to build it as those are about the only choices available these days.

IF you are willing to spend $300-400 on a new stock, why not just go buy a hunting weight rifle in .243 or larger chambering and go hunting? There are plenty of packaged rifle/scope combos that fit in that price range. Leave your 10 FP the way it is and use it at the bench or just in a blind.

txbdyguard
12-13-2012, 10:15 AM
In order to put an accu stock rifle in a regular stock like a Choate or any other after market stock the stubby recoil lug has to go. Good time to put a SSS or Northland in.

jonbearman
12-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Kevin is the man to call and he will offer to work overtime on your stock for a fee which I feel is very reasonable and it wont cost that much more.Just call him and he will explain the way he does it. He might even have a cancelled order or a used one.

srice425
12-13-2012, 07:48 PM
the stock it has now is a choate varmint. i was told that it came with the accustock, but i dont have it. all i know is the measurements and mag type. i just took his word for it on the accustock.

stangfish
12-13-2012, 08:26 PM
I think one thing we need to know is where the bolt release resides.

Nandy
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm trying to figure out how you got to 14 lbs with your rifle? The 10FP weighs 8 lbs in the factory stock, so with your 4.5 lbs Choate I'd think you would be around 10-10.5 lbs before scope. What have you added to get the additional 3.5-4 lbs on the rifle. I have a 26" Heavy Varmint Stevens 200 in .243, in HS Precision stock off the 10 FCP, with a Weaver Tactical 3.5-10X40 scope and it weighs in at 11.5 lbs before bipod, sling and bullets.

Another thing the 10FP isn't listed as an Accustock model, so if you are saying you have an Accustock I don't think you are correct. 16-18 weeks is a pretty standard wait time on most custom things these days such as stocks and rifle barrels. So it is either settle for something on hand and available now or wait for someone to build it as those are about the only choices available these days.

IF you are willing to spend $300-400 on a new stock, why not just go buy a hunting weight rifle in .243 or larger chambering and go hunting? There are plenty of packaged rifle/scope combos that fit in that price range. Leave your 10 FP the way it is and use it at the bench or just in a blind.

My point too.
srice425, double check the weight in your gun. I have a 110 action, a 26" 7mm rm barrel in varmint contour with a brake, the Choate Varmint Stock, 1 piece 20 moa steel weaver style base, steel rings, a leupold 50mm vx3 with a 30 mm tube and the gun being empty weights 15 pounds and by all accounts it sounds like I have way more steel than you. I cant understand how your rig can be just one pound under mine IF you have a sporter contour barrel? Check if the original owner filled any of the stock voids with leadshot or something. The weight of your gun just dont add up. Take it apart, your choate stock should not weight more than 5 pounds. If the weight is the main issue you might find out that either you can fix it if lead shot was added to the stock or if the stock weights 5 pounds or less then changing it will not do much good. As far as I can tell any decent stock (unless you go back to the original tupperware) will be in the 3 or more pounds.

srice425
12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
its possible that my scale could be off. it has the 24 inch heavy bbl. as far as i can tell, the choate stock has no extra filling.