PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Savage 99?

joshsnyder33
12-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Recently purchased a model 99 from a guy on a great buy. I was intending to use as a brush gun but wanted to do some further research as i've been told its an older gun. Serial number is 363***. Any info and a general idea of value on this gun would be greatly appreciated.

thomae
12-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about Savage 99's but this might help:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?19493-How-to-Determine-the-Manufacturing-Date-for-Your-Savage-Rifle
Others on the forum may be able to help you with value, etc...but photos would be an asset.

obssd1958
12-16-2012, 03:29 AM
For Savage model '99s, the best place to find your date of manufacture, is here:

http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

According to your info above, the site says it was made in 1937 or 1938.

Value is dependent on a lot of things. Not the least of which is condition, and originality. Has someone drilled and tapped the receiver to accept scope mounts? Has it been cared for properly - no rust, clean bore, wood undamaged? Has it been refinished or had the wood replaced?
Chambering has an influence on value too. Some chamberings were very rare and desirable.

I had one that had a LOT of things wrong with it. Oh, it functioned fine, and was a good shooter, but nothing was unspoiled otherwise. The worst of it was the lever being bent from a straight wrist stock to a pistol grip stock, and the left side of the receiver had 5 holes in it where "Bubba" had tried to drill and tap it for a sidemount scope.
It still brought $350, and the buyer was aware of every issue.
The value of a used item is whatever is agreed on between the seller and buyer!

Hope this helps!

Don

HIGHRPM
01-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Depends on your surrounding market. My market area is generally on the high side with nice vintage 99's going for $600 average. And I have watched some markets where $300 is average. If you are happy with it, like I am with mine, it doesn't matter !