PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110xp or 10xp for 6.5 creedmoor build

Pages : 1 [2]

lal357
12-16-2012, 10:24 PM
i have a 6.5creedmoor in a 110 action for right now i shoot it with a sled in the internal clip for single shot loading only . i have a 308 magazine that i will be swapping out to use it as a repeater in the future as for the bolt it is long i did use a 223 type baffle on the bolt to take up some of the travel the bolt uses .the reason i chose the 110 LA is as stated if i want to change calibers in the future i have more options to choose from i like it so much i picked up another LA in 270 and have already converted it to 308win (had a spare barrel sitting in the safe) not sure what i'm going to end up with i have a mcqowen 223 barrel a gunsmith screwed up and i need to get it rechambered into something else.

taylorce1
12-17-2012, 03:33 AM
The only advantage in this case is less money spent on rifle, as i stated in my op what the co$t differences were between the long and short

I got that you were saving money by buying a LA, my point is you have the magazine space why not use it? There isn't going to be any difference in the cost of the new barrel. Plus there isn't a huge difference in the cost of components.

Who said i didnt....? I actually have been buying reloading equipment so i can work up my own loads like the rest!!!

You did with this comment:

I started to look into the 6.5x47 lapua, then i stumbled uppon this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/949017/lapua-scenar-ammunition-65x47-lapua-123-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20
$64 for a box of 20..... YIKES!!!

A guy who reloads would have been pricing components instead of looking at loaded ammunition. With the 6.5-284 you at least have more options for brass as even Hornady makes it.

I have a Remington 700 in the .308 another one in a .300blk and a third in a 300WM(LA) also the Ruger M77 mark II in a .270, got all my actions covered already, now just building for fun besides I was under the impression that Hornady came out with the 6.5 creedmoor just so they can create unrivled factory "MATCH" ammo for it like no one else.... dunno, I could be wrong

My point about buying .308/.30-06 was if you are relying on factory ammunition, it is far cheaper to buy either of those cartridges than the 6.5 Creedmoor especially if you want match quality. As far as unrivaled "MATCH" ammunition from Hornady it is pretty easy to claim that when you are the only one making and marketing it. I'm pretty sure that Hornady came out with the Creedmoor just to sell more ammunition and jump on the 6.5 bandwagon. Maybe to fix perceived problems with the .260 Rem and the longish heavy/VLD 6.5 bullets in a SA magazine. "... dunno, I could be wrong"

helotaxi
12-17-2012, 10:08 AM
The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed specifically for the AR10 platform where magazine length is much more limiting than a bolt action.

Jamie
12-17-2012, 10:51 AM
If I was using a long action then a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 AI would be my choices. For a short action if you want a repeater then 6.5 CM would be it.

My point about buying .308/.30-06 was if you are relying on factory ammunition, it is far cheaper to buy either of those cartridges than the 6.5 Creedmoor especially if you want match quality. As far as unrivaled "MATCH" ammunition from Hornady it is pretty easy to claim that when you are the only one making and marketing it. I'm pretty sure that Hornady came out with the Creedmoor just to sell more ammunition and jump on the 6.5 bandwagon. Maybe to fix perceived problems with the .260 Rem and the longish heavy/VLD 6.5 bullets in a SA magazine. "... dunno, I could be wrong"

Actually, 6.5 CM Hornady Match ammo is less expensive than .308 Win Hornady Match ammo by a dollar or so a box($25.49 vs $26.99 @ Midway). The problem wasn't percieved with long bullets and the .260 Rem, it was/is a reality and the shorter 6.5 CM case will let you seat way out and stay in the magazine length. Not important to the guy who is shooting with his buddies on the weekend but very important to the guy trying to win a match or where quickness is needed. I believe the guy from Creedmoor Sports asked them to build it.

taylorce1
12-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Actually, 6.5 CM Hornady Match ammo is less expensive than .308 Win Hornady Match ammo by a dollar or so a box($25.49 vs $26.99 @ Midway). The problem wasn't percieved with long bullets and the .260 Rem, it was/is a reality and the shorter 6.5 CM case will let you seat way out and stay in the magazine length. Not important to the guy who is shooting with his buddies on the weekend but very important to the guy trying to win a match or where quickness is needed. I believe the guy from Creedmoor Sports asked them to build it.

Hornady isn't the only game in town for .308 match ammunition like it is for the Creedmoor, and you can find .308 match for $1 per round if you look for it. That is why I'd build a LR rifle in it if I was buying ammunition. My "perceived problem" comes from the fact that several people use the .260 successfully with long bullets from a SA magazine everyday, Hornady just wanted in on the 6.5 movement. Nothing wrong with the Creedmoor, just not what I'd use in a LA.

helotaxi
12-18-2012, 09:47 AM
My "perceived problem" comes from the fact that several people use the .260 successfully with long bullets from a SA magazine everyday

In short actions other than the Savage, though, they give up powder capacity and velocity and thus some of the long range advantage of the cartridge by doing so. The Creedmoor gives up nothing when constrained to 2.825" max OAL. If the Creedmoor offered nothing, it would not have caught on as well as it has. For the guys genuinely limited on magazine length, the Creedmoor can give them a touch more velocity with the longer bullets.

Jamie
12-18-2012, 10:46 AM
+1^^ AR10 shooters have less magazine length than Savages so it does come into play. Dennis Demille of Creedmoor Shooting Sports ASKED Hornady to create this. No bandwagoning.

taylorce1
12-18-2012, 05:47 PM
In short actions other than the Savage, though, they give up powder capacity and velocity and thus some of the long range advantage of the cartridge by doing so. The Creedmoor gives up nothing when constrained to 2.825" max OAL. If the Creedmoor offered nothing, it would not have caught on as well as it has. For the guys genuinely limited on magazine length, the Creedmoor can give them a touch more velocity with the longer bullets.

+1^^ AR10 shooters have less magazine length than Savages so it does come into play. Dennis Demille of Creedmoor Shooting Sports ASKED Hornady to create this. No bandwagoning.

Look guys the 6.5 CM is just a different way to slice the same loaf of bread. DeMille just wanted his own HP cartridge to pimp just like Tubb's does with the XC for High Power, and Hornady wanted a mid length 6.5 cartridge to go with their Grendel. So they necked up and blew out the .250 Savage or necked down the .30 TC however you want to look at it. Gave it a SAAMI spec of 2.820" COAL which is actually .020" longer than the .260 Rem. So either way you look at it both work very well in a AR-10 length magazine, and the 6.5 CM is a little more efficient about it. With the heavies they are less than 100 fps apart, big deal.

A lot of guys use either cartridge to compete as well as a plethora of others mixed in. In matches where they measure groups to the .00000001" then the Creedmoore might have a slight advantage if it is able to handle higher BC bullets slightly better. In tactical steel matches where a hit is a point and you move on to the next target, well the difference between a .585 BC bullet and a .618 bullet and less than 100 fps isn't going to matter so much.

My point was and still is use a bigger cartridge on a LA platform. Why invest in differenten't bolt baffles, putting .308 length magazines in a long action mag wells, or any other tweaks recommended or mentioned above? When the simplest answer is get a cartridge that fits the length of the magazine. My vote is still the 6.5-284 and if you want cheaper brass go with the 6.5-06.

johnny-bravo
12-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Now my next decision will be the barrel~
Krieger
Pacnor
Shilen
McGowin

taylorce1
12-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Now my next decision will be the barrel~
Krieger
Pacnor
Shilen
McGowin

Honestly I'd conatact Jim at Northland and see if he has a pre-fit barrel that will fit your needs, chambered for what you want. It sure beats the wait time on a prefit if you order direct from the manufacturer. If you want a top of the line cut-rifled barrel check out Bughloles.com, you'll have to find someone to chamber, thread, and crown it for you though. They usually have a few barrel blanks in 6.5 in stock in the popular LR barrel twist and contours.

I've used Shilen and McGowan on other builds, still waiting on my first Pac-Nor to ship for my .338-06 build. I haven't heard a terrible thing about any of them, and the barrels I have shoot great. I can tell you if you place an order at Pac-Nor, Penny who will take it is a pleasure to work with.

johnny-bravo
12-24-2012, 12:06 AM
It took me some time but i finally got the barrel nut broke free today, wow, what a pita.... I had it soaking in Kroil for a week thinking that would help. I had read that heating it helped but didnt wanna catch it on fire with all the Kroil. Large adjustable wrench on recoil lug, breaker bar in barrel nut wrench for stabuilaty and a WACK with a 5# mallet.... Yup, she came free.... no vise with wooden blocks

airdale
12-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Johnny-bravo,

I just went through the same decision process regarding caliber. I was looking for donor rifles and decided if I got a long action I was going to go with 6.5x55 Swede (been around a long while, popular and easily found). If I found a short action the round would be a 6.5 Creedmoor just to keep things simple. What I ended up doing was ordering a stainless varmint action from Jim at NSS the action is the same as a model 12 (S/A) so I'll be building a CM. No use reinventing the Wheel, keep it simple and enjoy your build.

Oh, BTW Merry Christmas

mattm0812
12-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Jesus what's with all these walmart's with savages.

Every Walmart in my county do not sell firearms..

Blue Avenger
12-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Ask, they can order them.

Stockrex
12-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Ask, they can order them.
they actually have the catalog online and it has barcodes that you can have them scan at register and give you price or give sku over phone and they will give you the price.

johnny-bravo
03-30-2013, 09:35 PM
HA HA, thought I would dig this thread up, I put my 6.5 build on hold while $hit was hitting the fan. Built a AR-15 while parts were still available to us citizens of the great USA......
I have since consulted with my local rifle smith and have had a 6.5 SS barrel on order from Lilja, my smith is also a BR shooter and only deals with Lilja for himself, will order whatever I want but he has used Dan's barrels for many years so I went with Lilja. I ordered in January and i believe it takes 4 months so hopefully soon.

brasse
03-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Thats why I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor and Jim at Northland. Ordered the Shilen Select Match last week, scheduled for delivery this Tuesday.

johnny-bravo
03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah, the 4 months of winter i have waited I really dont care about. I have had time to add more funds for this build since I blew $1500 on a AAC 300blk AR-15 build...... one can get carried away when another ~man~ threatens to take away his toys. I have also started reloading, been all 300blk so far but its reloading. I started this thread with the Creedm00r in mind but like usual changed my mind. I will be pushing out those pills with high pressure via the 47 Lapua. HA HA HA HA, yes the 6.5x47 Lapua, read allot on all calibers and was thinking about the 260 with the lapua 243 cases, then thought well maybe a 260AI with the 243 Lapua (fire formed) cases....... then kicked around the 6.5 swede...... all of the are the best and all are the worst. Now with that said ill probably change my mind again but I have 5,000 small rifle primers begging to go into the Lapua cases...lol