PDA

View Full Version : Hand-loads stickie for Axis users?

thermaler
12-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I've noticed that most forums have "sticky" threads with very useful information such as reload gear. Since I'm just starting out on the reload path--I was wondering if it wouldn't make sense to have a reload resource for Axis users--I know that I've seen some postings from Frank on custom loads that work well for him. I know every rifle is different--but the same rifle and caliber is a good place to start. What sayeth the collective?

thermaler
12-11-2012, 02:24 PM
If you have never reloaded before READ PUBLISHED MANUALS ,not information off the net.
It is important to understand how it works ,and just 1 grain more cane take a safe load into aDANGEROUS ONE.

Agree 100%--I will only do a gradual work-up from tested, listed and published load tables. But even among the tables--given all the combos of powders, bullets etc. there are some which will likely tend to work better out of the Axis sporter barrels than others--so I'm interested in what others have found to be good combo's for them. I have found this to be a common and useful exchange of information on many firearms forums.

thermaler
12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Usually shooters , reloaders ,will pick a powder that is suitable for the widest range of their inventory. If they have a 308 and a 223 and say a 260 ,they might pick varget ,if they had a few mags and a 308 the powder would be slower say 4350 . All to many times theyll choose a powder that a compromise , not the best for either ,but able to be used safely in each.
I never give loads,or let anyone ever shoot my reloads. Also I will never shoot any one elses reloads , THIS IS LAW.
Even with the insurance I have its just to easy for someone to point the finger.
Gary

In the Hornady book alone there are 6 pages of possible load combinations for 308 win alone. I do not understand why anyone would advise against reporting using one of the combos out of there as a particularly effective one for them? As long as it's understood that everyone is using equipment/materials that are within industry compliance and measurements--what is the liability issue? I'm not asking actual release and use of reloads--just your everyday publishing of grouping (and/or hunting) results along with the load formula. Don't get hot under the collar about it--I'm trying to be as complete in my admittedly novice understanding as I can.be.

thirty06
12-11-2012, 03:50 PM
All the info you want is in the reloading section. If not just ask, somebody will help.

thomae
12-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Use the search function within the section labeled:
Ammo and Reloading: Standard Cartridges
and you should be able to find all sorts of information as to what shoots well in someone else's rifle.

No one is getting upset, but reloading is serious business and regardless of what someone else says is a good load, you are wise in your decision to always "work up" to that load. Take some time to search and read through the posts.
A. you will find some suggested loads for your cartridge type, and,
B. You will likely learn some interesting stuff about shooting and reloading.

The answer is not always everything. How you get there is also important.
Hopefully you can work up an accurate load and also learn enough in the process to somewhat understand why it is more accurate when compared with another load.

Nandy
12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
I think I know where the OP is coming from. It seems he does understand the implications and how to safely work up a load. I for one have done the same thing, research what powder and loads works better and after a little bit and with enough data you start to see a trend. I have found those trends to match my 2 current barrels. More over, the best part is that it is reloader 19 for both the 30-06 and the 7mm rem mag. Im sure I could find a better match for both after extensive testing and spending a fortune in bullets/powders/etc.... but like Gmac5 says, I have found a compromise that allow me to shoot sub moa at 200 yds on both barrels, that is pretty good for me.
I dont have an Axis so I cant help you but if I did I would have no problem divulging my pet load for you in the reloading forum.

Blue Avenger
12-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I have often wondered why some think the axis is special when it comes to ammo? Some parts, yes there different animals. But the barrels are all the same through the entire savage line.

LHitchcox
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Normally no need to segregate handloads by rifle type. What works well in an Axis usually works in others like the 10/110 unless other factors are involved such as different twist rates. Check here in the handload section and check in various manuals. The same load that works great in my 110CL in .30-06 works great in my father-in-law's Weatherby. Same for our .25-06s. Find a load that is in two or more sources and start working up.