PDA

View Full Version : receiver thread problems?

TheAlmightyBob
12-10-2012, 10:28 PM
So im finally getting around to swapping barrels on my stevens 200. Going from 223 to 300 blackout. I bought the barrel from the gun shack during the group buy. I got the old barrel off, but the new one wont thread into the receiver. The barrel nut goes most of the way on but stops also. Im not the trype to force things so i stopped when it got tight. What are your thoughts on this? Chase all the threads to even them up or have a gunsmith take a look at it? Sorry for any typos, im writing this on my phone.

One more thing. I took the scope base off before i started.

drybean
12-10-2012, 10:37 PM
the threads may be a little proud
run a flat file over the top ,see if that helps

drybean

Blue Avenger
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
or emery cloth. Don't need much to knock off the peaks.

Nandy
12-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Use your "almighty" powers... Sorry, could not help myself... Anyway, what they said, some threads peaks might have been knock around.

stangfish
12-11-2012, 12:48 AM
The internal threads of a savage reciever are not as deep as a standard thread. I think the radius them to improve strength. Not 100% on that but it seams like the pitch diameter is standard just the tops of the barrel threads need to be nocked off. About .0035" per side.

handirifle
12-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Just to be clear, based on the title, the thread issues you are having are on the new barrel, NOT the receiver.

TheAlmightyBob
12-11-2012, 05:37 AM
So i guess i should have posted this in the barrel forum. Sorry about that. But now that you mention it, it does make sense. I have to get work right now, but ill update when i get home and try out your suggestions.

Dennis
12-11-2012, 06:29 AM
or emery cloth. Don't need much to knock off the peaks

More than likely the problem with the barrel threads. Use emery cloth, it shouldn't take much.

Good Luck,

TheAlmightyBob
12-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Alright. Been working on it now for a couple hours. Going real slow. Work on it a little then test fit, work on it, test fit, ect. I got to the point where the barrel nut goes on great. But I can still only get about 2-3 full turns into the receiver. Starting to get a little worried. Any thoughts?

Thanks

eta, if a mod wants to move this into the barrel forum, please help yourself. Not sure where this kind of post belongs.

Nandy
12-11-2012, 07:38 PM
So I assume that if you try the old barrel it goes back in with no problem? If the barrel nut is NOW going in lot better then I think you are making progress. Use a good light and check the receiver threads again to make sure there are not obstruction. Definitely try the old barrel to make sure nothing is in the threads. If I recall right the first base hole is mighty close to the front of the action, make sure that is not the spot where you are getting stuck. Good luck, hope it works now or someone else can help you. Again, I think you are making progress and you might need to work it a little more but without seeing it in person it will be hard to judge...

Nandy
12-11-2012, 07:40 PM
BTW, post your area, who knows, you might be living close to a member with experience changing these barrels. I know if you lived where I live or close to it I would have no problems taking a look at it. I got lucky, my barrels went in like butter....

thomae
12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Also, (and you probably already checked this, but it bears repeating) check the all the threads for residue from the shot-peening process (teeny weeny little round steel balls). If they are in the threads, they will make it extremely hard to thread the barrel on. I had to work them out with solvent and toothpicks. It took a little time as they don't want to come out too easily.

Nandy
12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Also, (and you probably already checked this, but it bears repeating) check the all the threads for residue from the shot-peening process (teeny weeny little round steel balls). If they are in the threads, they will make it extremely hard to thread the barrel on. I had to work them out with solvent and toothpicks. It took a little time as they don't want to come out too easily.

Reason why I want him to try that old barrel, to see if something came loose in the threads and is causing his problems.

handirifle
12-13-2012, 01:20 AM
I have gotten barrels with the tip of the the threads flattened over, ever so slightly. I used a small triangle shaped file and cleaned them up one at a time. took me about 45 min, but that barrel went in super slick when done. You have to look the threads over VERY carefully to see it. It does not take much to stop it from spinning in.

TheAlmightyBob
12-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I finally got a day off so now I am going to work on it just a tad more. If I cant figure it out I'll take it to my local smith.

The old barrel still goes on fine, and I kept cleaning the thread on both the barrel and receiver while working on them. I have just marked up the threads with a marker and Im gonna work on seeing what going on with that now.

TheAlmightyBob
12-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Alright, so I guess this will be the last update about my issue since it is fixed and put together now.

I took it to the smith this morning because I just didnt feel comfy with the results I was getting. But now I feel kinda dumb since it was such an easy fix. I explained what I had done to the smith and what the problem was. He took me into his work shop, put the barrel in a vice with blocks, handed me some jb bore paste, some tetra oil, and the receiver. He said slowly work it back and forth a little at a time till I hit the barrel nut. I did as he said and I would say about 5 minutes later the barrel was on all the way. After that he took it and cleaned it up and put some more tetra on it and said I should be good to go.

The way he explained my problem to me is that sometimes when they blue a gun, some of the blueing salt will get into the threads and rust it up a little. So what I was doing the the jb paste was lapping the barrel and cleaning any rust and blueing out of there also. This worked perfectly.

I thought I would share incase someone else would like to know and use this info. Thanks to everyone for your advice. I cant wait to get it out tomorrow and break it in a little.

fgw_in_fla
12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I would have got the torch out....

Nandy
12-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Awesome, now we want pictures!

BillPa
12-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I would have got the torch out....

...or

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/pipe-wrench-1.jpg

jonbearman
12-15-2012, 08:08 PM
If you do have shot in the threads, a dental pick works great to get them out. I would look into a local gunshop and see if he has the tap to clean the reciever threads up.Make sure his tap isnt .010 thou oversize before he runs it in.