PDA

View Full Version : Scope and rings

therimel
12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Quick qustion. For a new shooter whats a good scope, rings and bases for a 20 inch barrel chambered in .308. The plans are 300-400 yard shooting but keep in mind im new. Looking to spend around 200-250$ on scope. I would prefer mildot

1ShotKing
12-09-2012, 09:15 PM
The Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 is a good scope, you can find it for around $250. It is fixed 10x zoom with accurate target style turrets and a mil-dot reticle. Don't be fooled into buying a scope with high magnification around the same price range as oftentimes you will be sacrificing overall quality for more zoom which is not a good way to go. For a base you can get a Weaver tactical one piece base for around $35. Then mount it all up with Burris 1" low XTR rings which you can find for around $55. This is the most economical way to get set up with a system that will be mechanically sound, in my opinion.

1ShotKing

americanstrat98
12-09-2012, 09:46 PM
May I ask why you assume that getting into shooting is budget friendly therimel? To tell you the truth it's not cheap, its addictive if done right, and can become a life long passion, But take into account that in order for something to last a lifetime on a 308 you'll need better then a cheap 200$ scope. Have you tried the used market? I bought a Leupold VX-2 for 150 and it has been a great scope on my 308 Lever gun. plus if I break it Leupold will always fix it, even in 50years. I'm not a fan of cheap glass. If you want to be cheap than use iron sights.

therimel
12-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I didnt think this was gonna be a cheap project ot hobby. My background is competitive shotgun shooting. With that being said i understand what quality is as far as equipment used. I guess i dont know near enough about scopes or rifles. I wasnt sure of a good price range to look at i just know i wasnt in for a 500$ scope right off the bat! At the same time i dont want to buy it twice. I really like the prostaff and buckmaster just dont think prostaff makes a mildot and not sure if the BDC is what i want any thoughts on that? I would really like to have the nikon M308 even of it was used. I did not mean to come across as trying to do this as cheap as possible but i am on a budget. And if 200$ is to cheap to start than ill look a little higher. I was considering the warne QD and bases. My rifle is the hog hunter model
Thanks for all the info, Cody

americanstrat98
12-09-2012, 10:53 PM
therimel
You picked an excellent calibre to plink with by the way. As soon as you shoot at 400 you'll be wanting to hit 600 10 minutes later and after that it'll be 800. Make yourself a chart, and with a good scope as a counterpart. You can read the wind, adjust and shoot at most distances with great enjoyment. WIth a scope that doesnt' track well you will soon be praying for the mil-dot, but with a fine quality optic you'll be happier than a pig in slop at any distance with a regular duplex.

If you're dawn/dusk hunting you may want to stick with the larger duplex or standard duplex. Fine hairs', Fine duplex's generally get lost in the sauce when light is limited and ends up being a nightmare. Generally you can get a fixed power mil-dot pretty cheap but the magnification will be high, and the field of view will be limited.

Just a close story to yours. I was in the market for a scope just like my grandfather passed on to me. (1971 Leupold VX-III 3.5x10-40mm AO) I lucked up and bought a FINE DUPLEX, Vari-X III in 4.5x14-40mm. Now while I do not like using this scope on my deer rifle, I put it on a 22.250 for prarie dogs and it has become my go to scoped rifle for target shooting or prarie hunts. I paid 400 dollars for that scope.

Before I had put that leupold on the 22-250 I had only taken that rifle out maybe 2 times. it was marginally accurate and I just really didn't like shooting it. (it had a buckmaster Side focus 14x on it) After I put the Leupold on it, it became more fun to shoot, which made me shoot it better, it's easier to see targets with the newer glass and I've taken it to the range 4 times in just one month. Most of my rifles now have top quality american glass.

You being a shotgunner you can understand its usually the shooter that makes the high scores, not the guy with the benelli, how many times have we seen a 870 windmaster come to the shoot to humble us.

Guns are one thing, but scopes are kinda finicky, most economy scopes will get you where you want to go. Top glass can get you a little further.

May I say that Redfield has recently started producing some fine american scopes again, their 12x AO scope is worth looking at with a very competitive price tag. I'm looking to buy one for my brother's christmas present this year.

You take care and it's good to hear another shooter is converting to being completely nuts, not just half way!

therimel
12-09-2012, 11:02 PM
americanstrat98 thanks for taking the time to chat with me. I now have a better idea for what to expect while looking at scopes. I will look at the redfields

stangfish
12-10-2012, 12:30 AM
For a good scope try a used SWFA Super Sniper(not counter sniper) 10x or 16 x scope. I see them all the time for 250 or less. There is a lot of glass in that scope. The Bushnell mentioned above is an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of that scope and I have heard good things about them. But if your going to spend 250 for a scope I dont think you can do much better.

therimel
12-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Do you think a fixed power scope is the best option even up to 300-350? What about a nikon buckmaster mil-dot 4.5x 14? or the bushnell 4.5x 14 mildot?

fyimo
12-10-2012, 12:44 AM
There are a lot of good scopes out and for $250 you can buy a number of them used and my choice would be a Leupold Vari X II (2) 3x9x40mm only because leupold warranties it for life even if you aren't the origianl owner as long as it's one of their gold ring scopes which the Vari-X II is. If you are lucky you might even find an older Vari-x III for $250 used if you are willing to wait. If the rifle is for hunting I don't think a high powered fixed power scope like a 10x or higher is worth having because in dense woods or at close range they are a disadvantage. With a 3x9 depending on the hunting conditions I can have mine set from 3 power all the way up to 9 power and get the best field of view.

Now if it's for a long range target shooting rifle then a fixed power scope in the 10X to 16X power range might be the way to go.

stangfish
12-10-2012, 01:32 AM
What about a nikon buckmaster mil-dot 4.5x 14? or the bushnell 4.5x 14 mildot?
I have one of those that is like new. I just mounted it tonight. Bought it as part of a package and pulled it off. If you are interested it has the box and all the papers I believe. PM me with an offer.

or the bushnell 4.5x 14 mildot?
My preference.

The 10x scope is not ideal for a moving target under 75 yards that is for certain. But it is good for 600 and beyond.

oaddis3
12-10-2012, 02:06 AM
IMO, i think the buckmasters mildot is a great scope to start with. I just put one on my .308 and i am in love with it. I know there is better glass out there, but i'm not willing to pay more than what i paid for the rifle.(maybe i am cheap. ha!)
It is all about preference though. Go to the nearest shop and bug the guy working at the optics counter for 2 hours.

jsthntn247
12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
There is no scope better than this one for your set up. I have a 20" 308 for my primary deer hunting rifle with one of these scopes mounted in TPS rings and a EGW 20 moa base. I pop gongs out to 750 with this set up all the time shooting Hornady 165 BTSP's. Do not get a fixed power scope if you ever plan on hunting with this rifle.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/weaver-tactical-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

bfwhite
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Burris Zee Signature rings all the way. EGW or Weaver one piece base. AS far as scopes, I have the Buckmaster and Mueller. I have two Mueller's now. They have a lifetime warranty as well. I have the 4.5-16x50mm mil dot on my 300 win mag and love it. The other one is a 8.5-25x50mm on my 6.5 for long range target shooting.

Nandy
12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
You have to answer these questions before anyone can give you solid advice:
Are you going to hunt, punch paper or both with this rifle?
If you are going to be hunting then what is the game and where abouts?
It seems to me that you are looking to punch paper as the main use of this gun, is that correct?

My first advise is to go with a company with lifetime warranty since that gives you the piece of mind that if the scope breaks it will be fixed or replaced. It also helps with the resale value of the scope special when the warranty is not only for the original owner. Plus a company that gives you a lifetime warranty will really try to put out a product that will last a lifetime.

If you are punching paper or shooting prairie dogs 32 to 40 mm objectives are fine and mil dot is probably the best reticle. A fixed zoom when punching paper should not be a handicap and will probably make a scope cheaper. If hunting crepuscular animals you want 40mm objectives minimum and should consider an illuminated reticle (my vx3 3.5 x10 with ill ret is a life saver) and a BDC reticle will be best if you are shooting game that dont hang around much to allow you to adjust your reticle.
The ability to zoom is great when hunting but not so much needed when punching paper which dont move at all and you have way more time to find it and generally are against a good background easy to see.
Let these guys know more in detail what you want to use this rifle for and they might be able to give you more specific advice.

stangfish
12-10-2012, 07:45 PM
There is no scope better than this one for your set up. I have a 20" 308 for my primary deer hunting rifle with one of these scopes mounted in TPS rings and a EGW 20 moa base. I pop gongs out to 750 with this set up all the time shooting Hornady 165 BTSP's. Do not get a fixed power scope if you ever plan on hunting with this rifle.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/weaver-tactical-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Very Interesting. Read those reviews!

therimel
12-10-2012, 09:42 PM
mainly puching paper is what i will use this rifle for but i bought the model i did for the simple reason of if i dont like bench shooting im not stuck with a bench specific model (big heavy gun) Thanks for all the replys

therimel
12-10-2012, 09:48 PM
I like the scope in the link above but its at the price point of a buckmaster 4.5x14 mil-dot. Ive heard alot of great things about them. For 90% paper or steel shooting i cant seem to find a reason to not buy one. This is gonna be my first scope purchase for long range so if i get ate up with this and build a new gun for bench only then i could always could transfer it over. OR go another route

jsthntn247
12-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Very Interesting. Read those reviews!

28 4+ stars compared to one 3 star and one 2 star, which equals 93% positive rating. That's as good as it gets, you can't please everybody.

Jason8691
12-21-2012, 12:02 PM
I picked up a Nikon 3-9 x 50 Prostaff for $200, glass is clear and it works well for what I want to do with it.