PDA

View Full Version : New member - new build...

cmspeedy
01-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi guys I just sent in my pay pal payment and am awaiting my membership.

I am starting a build on my blued model 11 in .308

Does the blued action work OK with a stainless barrel?

I will be using the gun primarily for hunting and target shooting out to about 600 yards. I would also like to be able to take a 25 yard shot should the need arise and plan on putting a Super Sniper 3-9 FFP scope on it.

Here is what I had planned:

Order a stock - really need advice - (don't want to spend a fortune - choate?)
Order Badger Ordinance 20 MOA Scope Mount and Rings

Send the action to SSS for
-T&T Action
-Trigger
-20-24" barrel - can't decide
-recoil lug
-tactical bolt handle

Upon receiving the gun back - bed it in the stock - how should I bed? (Pillar, Glass...)

Mount Super Sniper 3-9 X 40 FFP mil Dot scope in Badger Mounts all installed using in/lb torque wrench.

Go Shooting!!

Where am I going wrong? Any advice?

kslefty
01-03-2010, 10:54 PM
You can do all of the mods you mention or just scope it and shoot it as is. You may be pleasantly surprised how it will shoot in factory form right now. A 9 power scope would be too low for me to shoot @ 600 yds unless it is a very large target, maybe your eyes are better though.

pa hog
01-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Your not gonna need a 20MOA base to hit 600yds with that scope, I'd look into a different scope better can be had for less.
I'd look into a Vortex Viper or a Sightron, all the Super Sniper's I've seen pale in comparison to the Viper's or SIII Sightrons,they just are'nt as clear or Bright, and most have mushy clicks.

I'd look into Farrel rings and bases, I keep it simple and use a EGW Base and Burris Signature Zee rings.

Kinda need to know whether you action is Staggered feed or Centerfeed for stock choice but I'd recommend looking at Site Sponsor Stockey's at a Bell and Carlson Medalist #2999

As far as S.S.S.+1 But call now and get in line even if your not gonna be ready for awhile
, be patient it make take some doing to get ahold of them but it's worth it.

cmspeedy
01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Just read a few of the articles and WOW!!

I already have most of the tools I need to do this myself.

I may have to rethink this build - I may do it.

Yeah I like the sightron too - may go with the SIII.

So many choices!!