PDA

View Full Version : Factory Barrel Weight and Accuracy

ajoey
12-09-2012, 02:08 PM
I have a 111 in .30-06 and the barrel weight seems to be a heavier contour than rifles made by other manufacturers. My question is what weight does Savage use for their factory sporter barrels? It seems to be more of a mid weight barrel when compared to other rifles. Especially since the rifle sans glass is 8 pounds.

Second, how well do those barrels do past 500 on paper?

ajoey
12-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I haven't shot the rifle in several years, but it used to shoot 180 core lokts at around 1 MOA. I'll probably shoot it again tomorrow.

americanstrat98
12-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I haven't shot the rifle in several years, but it used to shoot 180 core lokts at around 1 MOA. I'll probably shoot it again tomorrow.

If you havent shot it in several years, answer your own questions by setting up some targets. not to be a smart elick but YOU have to shoot YOUR rifle and tell us what it does, not the other way around.

Most factory Savages can shoot better than 90% of the owners who shoot them. Your rifles barrel has no bearing on the group sizes. That will depend solely on your ability with a given distance, ammo, skill

Go Shoot that sucker and let us know. I bet it'll get you 1MOA or better with Rem Cor Lokts!

Take care

ajoey
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
All I wanted to know was what weight bbl savage uses.

helotaxi
12-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Your rifles barrel has no bearing on the group sizes. That will depend solely on your ability with a given distance, ammo, skill

That's a gross misrepresentation. The rifles barrel is one of the most, if not the most, critical aspects of its ability to shoot well. The best shooter can only shoot as well as the barrel will allow. If the barrel is a 3MOA barrel, nothing the shooter does will make it better than that. The shooter can do worse than the barrel is capable of shooting or feed it junk ammo and not reach the barrel's potential, but the barrel is the critical component when it comes to getting a rifle that will shoot well. There's a reason that benchrest and competitive shooters spend hundreds of dollars on the best barrel that they can afford. Crappy barrel shoot like crap. Feed it the best ammo and have the best shooter at the trigger, still will shoot like crap. It's only once you've got a known quality barrel on the rifle that you can start saying that the ammo or the shooter are the limiting factor.

All I wanted to know was what weight bbl savage uses.

They use a Savage barrel profile. Every manufacturer has certain profiles that they use and they're all a little different. They make a light sporter that is used on the lightweight rifles, a sporter that is usually used with barrels 7mm and under, a magnum sporter profile that is a bit thicker used on magnum cartridges and larger bores than .30 cal, a varmint profile that is a good deal heavier than the magnum sporter usually found on the model 12 and some of the model 10 rifles an then a heavy profile which is on some of the specialized model 12s. The .30cals are kind of an odd duck because I've seen them with both the sporter and the magnum sporter profile.