PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Question about a .300 Savage 99

Yamaharhino
12-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi, I own a .300 Savage moel 99 and i am wondering approximately how much it is worth. From the serial number i found on the gun and the internet i am assuming it is a 1951 model. It also has in a very small circle with 23C etched on it and there is an etched RC on it. number is 618032 I couldn't figure out how to add an image because i am posting this late and getting tired. But the wood is in very good shape with a few scratches and dings. The bore looks very good for an older gun and the metal is slightly worn and very slightly faded. The only thing i think would bring down the value is that there is a scope on it which looks like the gun had to be drilled to attach. Overall it is a very good looking and functioning gun for it's age. I would like to sell the gun so i dont want to over or under price it. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

r3dn3ck
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
This varies greatly gun to gun. Figure without any further info or the ability to properly inspect the gun you should be able to land 350 bucks to 550 or so for a shooter grade gun that's not pristine depending on where you live. I would start your ad at $500 OBO and take what you get. On the other side, where are you located? I might just have to take it off your hands. The scope does not detract from the value. It would only be important that a gun had or had not had a scope mounting modification if it were collectible but the 99 you describe is not. It's a working gun and of serious interest to a lot of people that love them but it's otherwise nothing special that I can see. The most valuable part about it is that it was made in the golden age of guns when things like impressed checkering and MIM and plastic weren't common and the guns were thence much more durable.

Pristine examples, especially take-down guns and those in odd calibres can command much higher prices. Shooters, not so much.

Appleseed
12-10-2012, 09:27 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?166-What-model-99-do-I-have

This is on the home page, well written, good info. May not help you with value.

HIGHRPM
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
You can get a good idea on pricing if you follow sites like Gunbroker.com. The prices change very often with some times being very high asking prices and then more realistic pricing. It's well worth a look.