PDA

View Full Version : The new guy

therimel
12-09-2012, 01:52 AM
I just posted this in the rimfire section so im reposting it. First day!! I tell ya

Hello there im brand new to rifle shooting and to the forum. I shoot competitive shotgun sports now. I do have a ruger 10/22 that i have modded everything but the bolt but as far as big boy rifles i made my first purchase today. I was struggling between a remington and savage but i went with the savage hog hunter in .308. So i guess that is the model 11? I bought the gun because im interested in bench shooting and it had the look i like and of course the trigger. And secret be told my buddy is 700 only and couldn't believe i bought mine. But i had to go against the grain and want to out shoot his gun to prove him wrong again. < Shotgun brands! haha
Anyways let me tell you my plans ill be going to get but before so i would love some input. Im thinking the warne QD rings and warne bases. And either a 4x12 prostaff bdc or mildot. Or some input on a good scope no more than 200$ would help!
My plan with this gun was i needed a gun for whitetail but also wanted to try the bench shooting. I figured this gun would allow me the chance to try my hand at that before building a dialed in specific setup at which time this would be turned more into my game gun, if that makes since.

Any info on extras i should look into for bench shooting or perts for my gun would be great. Also any info from you pros on my model gun as far as is my action the same with other models or anything? Sorry for rambling and showing my true newbie colors. Thanks Cody

therimel
12-09-2012, 01:55 AM
One thing im hearing is getting a prostaff on a short action is hard. So will a 4x12 prostaff work with warne QD?

txbdyguard
12-09-2012, 01:59 AM
you can get a short tube scope on a short action with a one piece base that bridges the action opening.

Bossman
12-09-2012, 02:17 AM
One thing im hearing is getting a prostaff on a short action is hard. So will a 4x12 prostaff work with warne QD?
Cody,
Prostaff will work fine on that- easier on a short action like a 11 than on a long action (111). I have one on a short action but I didn't use Warne. I used a DNZ but I think a Warne set up would be fine. Maybe someone on here will chime in that uses that set-up. I can see how the QD system would be a good thing with the open sights on the Hog Hunter. Maybe get a one- piece picatinny base like the Weaver or EGW like txbdyguard said to give you a range of mounting positions, fore and aft with the Warne QD's. Enjoy your new shooter!

therimel
12-09-2012, 02:21 AM
thanks for the info

Bossman
12-09-2012, 02:26 AM
thanks for the info
Here's one: http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage-round-back-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/

back40
12-09-2012, 02:53 AM
I have a Weaver 1 pc. tactical base and Burris Zee Signature rings. This setup works good on my short action .308. My scope is a Bushnell Elite 3940. I don't know how the measurements compare to your scope.

txbdyguard
12-09-2012, 03:11 AM
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_625603_-1__?N=6841401