PDA

View Full Version : Factory Short Throat Barrel? 30-06 111

xsskeet
12-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Howdy all -

I'm the new guy to the forum, and have been reading posts for the last few months... Learned a lot.

I have been shooting a .308 10FP for the last couple of years and that rascal has filled the freezer a few times. I shoot a lot of Contenders and Encores, and have been reloading for some 40+ years. Shoot competitive skeet with the bride, and just in general have fun.

So.. Here is the issue

I picked up a 30-06 111 Combo with the Nikon BDC on it the other day. Scrapped the junk rings and did a little clean up on it.

This evening, I was getting "Max OAL lengths" with the Stoney point gauge (now Hornady) and compared the averages to some loads I had for the old O3A3. The Nolser 150 Accubonds and Sierra Game Kings were fine. Where I discovered the issue was with the 150 Hornady's... Hornady lists a tested seating Depth of 3.210... I checked what I had, and they were right on the money. Slipping a round in the chamber, I could not close the bolt! I grabbed a marker and covered the neck and bullet. Slipping it back in, I eased the bolt forward and tried to close. No luck... Slipping the case out, you can see on the bullet, right where it makes a taper, the marker had been removed.

I adjusted the seating depth down to 3.20 and could close the bolt, but was way harder than what I think normal should be. Once again, I adjusted the depth to 3.195 and it closed a little easier.

Something seems a bit out of whack with this... A friend of mine shoots 180's (dont ask... :ambivalence:) so I going to grab a couple of his factory loads, check the OAL's and see if they chamber.

I'm suspecting a "Short Throat"...

Has anyone here on the forum ran up against "Factory" short throats? I may give Savage a call Monday and see what they say..

Oh... I did discover another issue.. When I loaded a few rounds through the top into the DBM, it actually moved it down enough that the bolt would not pick up a round... Had to push the back of the magazine ( by the trigger guard) up to where it was seated again... Anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

Bill

stangfish
12-09-2012, 12:24 AM
A friend of mine shoots 180's (dont ask... :ambivalence:)

I wont ask but will say that it is this posters opinion the 180 is where the 30-06 starts to outshine the 308. Think about it.

xsskeet
12-09-2012, 12:39 AM
LOL... I agree the 180's in the 06 are awesome! Just not needed for these itty bitty things we have here in the south east we call deer. :cool:

1ShotKing
12-09-2012, 08:28 AM
The 180 grain is by far the most popular 30-06 bullet weight here. Nobody will hear tell of anything else, 180 or nothing.

ellobo
12-09-2012, 05:14 PM
The 180 grain is by far the most popular 30-06 bullet weight here. Nobody will hear tell of anything else, 180 or nothing.

I disagree. In all the yrs I have been lurking here it seems to me that the 168 gr bullets seem to be the more accurate out of savage .30 cal. The 180's are probably more popular but the 168's seem to be the most accurate. I had a hunting buddy of 35 yrs (deceased) who swore that only a 30-06 with 180's could kill a deer, and my dinky 7x57 could not possible kill a deer. Boy was he surprised when I dropped them, still said I was just lucky.

El Lobo

1ShotKing
12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
I disagree. In all the yrs I have been lurking here it seems to me that the 168 gr bullets seem to be the more accurate out of savage .30 cal. The 180's are probably more popular but the 168's seem to be the most accurate. I had a hunting buddy of 35 yrs (deceased) who swore that only a 30-06 with 180's could kill a deer, and my dinky 7x57 could not possible kill a deer. Boy was he surprised when I dropped them, still said I was just lucky.

El Lobo
I have to agree with you on deer sized game. I laugh at people buying 300 win mag rifles to shoot a while tail deer. They are out of their minds thinking they need such a caliber. They seem to think more power will somehow make up for their inability to shoot a rifle. We only hunt moose where I live, there are no other deer besides caribou. The 180grain 30-06 is used for moose and I know people stopping them in their tracks @ 450 with a single 30-06 shot to the vitals. I don't know about accuracy on paper, most people don't spend a lot of time concentrating on groups. They sight them in and shoot their moose, then it goes in the safe til' the next season.