PDA

View Full Version : Operation "Make A Sniper Cry" - Stevens 200 Build Up x 2

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

mattm0812
01-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Very nice.

Can't wait for the final completed pics and range reports.

SlimySquirrel
01-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Love what you are doing and the reasons behind it!

Following this thread with anticipation now.

Can't wait to see the final builds and hear about his reaction!

msummers
01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Very cool. Can't wait to see the finished product!

brasse
01-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Great project. What you are doing is helping me on my build, my stuff is all stainless.

Took about an hour to polish up the slotless barrel nut. Working on the stock stainless trigger. Over two hours into it and it is less than 25% done. Stock was very rough.

Can't wait for you rifles to be done.

broken6r
01-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Great project. What you are doing is helping me on my build, my stuff is all stainless.

Took about an hour to polish up the slotless barrel nut. Working on the stock stainless trigger. Over two hours into it and it is less than 25% done. Stock was very rough.

Can't wait for you rifles to be done.

brasse, these won't be staying as they currently look. In fact, my Alumahyde II in OD green and earth brown showed up today from Brownells

brasse
01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Yeh yours will look cooler, part of the fun is making it exactly as you want it.

You have a huge fan base here, we all wishing we could do the same thing.

broken6r
01-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Any of you could do this for a friend or loved one. It's just a matter of collecting the parts, and then putting it together. Besides, what says I appreciate you, like a high quality firearm?

brasse
01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Should be on a Hallmark card "What says I appreciate you, like a high quality Savage firearm? "

back40
01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Good job and good man broken6r. I am following this thread with much anticipation too.

broken6r
01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of the support!

On a related note, the jolly man in the brown sleigh showed up today. Below is a little mockup for you all. This weekend will see some sanding, and hopefully painting of the McGowan setup with Alumahyde. With any luck, my replacement screws from EGW, for the Shilen, will get here soon so that I can get it finished as well!

McGowan mockup in it's stock:

http://i.imgur.com/SQAw8.jpg

Majja13
01-11-2013, 02:46 PM
That is a very nice looking rifle. I am looking forward to hearing a side by side comparison of the two rifles and seeing how they shoot. Please keep the gun pron coming. You are doing a great thing here, my hats off to you.

broken6r
01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Quick weekend update for you all. I just finished painting the McGowan in earth brown. That brown, with the O.D. stock, is going to look really really nice together. Since it is too early to touch it, and therefore I can not get you folks a proper picture, below is the best I could do showing the color differences.

http://i.imgur.com/O9Erf.jpg

mattm0812
01-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Very nice.

What did you do to prep it?

broken6r
01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Very nice.

What did you do to prep it?

matt, 150 grit sand paper to every surface getting painted, and a good wipe down with alcohol to remove all oil/ect. I painted it in 3 separate parts: receiver/barrel/rail, bolt body, and trigger guard. In the last parts of prep I removed the trigger/safety mechanism from the receiver, and wedged the tips from q-tips in the muzzle to seal that off. A .308win muzzle takes precisely 3 q-tip heads carefully wedged in to get a complete seal at the crown, without the cotton going everywhere. The bolt got heavily taped with 3M painters tape, except for the bolt body. Other than that, I hung everything down in my heated utility room using a heavy duty nylon twine that can take the weight. The "paint" used was Brownell's Alumahyde II in earth brown. In the above picture it almost looks like a WW2 era flat O.D. green, but it is definitely not. Once it has hung/cured for awhile I will get that rifle assembled and try to get you folks some completed pictures in proper lighting. And once my replacement rail screws from EGW arrive (hopefully Monday), I can get the Shilen setup prepped, painted, and curing as well.

With how easily the factory trigger/safety mechanism came out, I do not forsee any issues in swapping the factory trigger for a Rifle Basix Sav-1 and getting it adjusted nicely. In fact, the most difficult thing that I have done so far was to remove the magazine from the factory tupperware stock. That one took a lot of very careful prying with a flathead screwdriver to accomplish. However, installing it in it's new O.D. green B&C Tactical Medalist stock was the exact opposite. Extremely easy.

This week will see orders of match grade ammo and cases for the rifles, once I know what length I am going to need. It is crazy how close this project is getting to completion. I am also getting really excited to see my buddy's reaction, and find out who is right. His wife, or myself. Is he going to cry as she suspects? Or is he going to kick my butt for spending so much on him, as I suspect? Maybe both? Only time will tell!

mattm0812
01-12-2013, 05:44 PM
matt, 150 grit sand paper to every surface getting painted, and a good wipe down with alcohol to remove all oil/ect. I painted it in 3 separate parts: receiver/barrel/rail, bolt body, and trigger guard. In the last parts of prep I removed the trigger/safety mechanism from the receiver, and wedged the tips from q-tips in the muzzle to seal that off. A .308win muzzle takes precisely 3 q-tip heads carefully wedged in to get a complete seal at the crown, without the cotton going everywhere. The bolt got heavily taped with 3M painters tape, except for the bolt body. Other than that, I hung everything down in my heated utility room using a heavy duty nylon twine that can take the weight. The "paint" used was Brownell's Alumahyde II in earth brown. In the above picture it almost looks like a WW2 era flat O.D. green, but it is definitely not. Once it has hung/cured for awhile I will get that rifle assembled and try to get you folks some completed pictures in proper lighting. And once my replacement rail screws from EGW arrive (hopefully Monday), I can get the Shilen setup prepped, painted, and curing as well.

With how easily the factory trigger/safety mechanism came out, I do not forsee any issues in swapping the factory trigger for a Rifle Basix Sav-1 and getting it adjusted nicely. In fact, the most difficult thing that I have done so far was to remove the magazine from the factory tupperware stock. That one took a lot of very careful prying with a flathead screwdriver to accomplish. However, installing it in it's new O.D. green B&C Tactical Medalist stock was the exact opposite. Extremely easy.

This week will see orders of match grade ammo and cases for the rifles, once I know what length I am going to need. It is crazy how close this project is getting to completion. I am also getting really excited to see my buddy's reaction, and find out who is right. His wife, or myself. Is he going to cry as she suspects? Or is he going to kick my butt for spending so much on him, as I suspect? Maybe both? Only time will tell!

Gotcha.

For finding out case length, it can be tricky.

My last savage had a 26" barrel and it would not fit in a 46" case. Had about two inches hanging out.

broken6r
01-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Ya i'm seeing that. I just rested the Shilen, which is a 26" in it's stock, and it measured at 46" on the money. At the moment i'm kinda leaning towards MidwayUSA's drag bags. They're cheap and sturdy, and I doubt these rifles will ever get actually drug around

LRJammer
01-13-2013, 12:04 AM
I have one of the Midway drag bags and they are an excellent buy for the money.

broken6r
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Now if only I could decide on slings.....hmm. But, I might just leave that one up to him since there is a million and one choices out there

Newsshooter
01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
My 6.5 LRP with a 26 inch barrel fits in the long midway drag bag, just barely but it fits. Decent bag, great price when they're on sale.

Smitherz24
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Broken,
This is an amazing thing you're doing! I can't wait to see the end product :) A little friendly competition in the near future is going to be awesome :) Keep up the good work!