PDA

View Full Version : Operation "Make A Sniper Cry" - Stevens 200 Build Up x 2

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

jonbearman
12-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Buy the action wrench and barrel wrench from Jim Briggs.I dont see how you will get a new factory tightened barrel off without a reciever wrench.2nd call Jim at 1-763-6824296 and he will get you the at least varmint weight barrel you should buy. His price's are the best around and he will guide you through the whole process.Call and leave a message and HE WILL CALL you back.I can promise you he will.He delivers within a short time and always comes through.He has criterion(kreigers other division) barrels and shilen barrels,both excellent choice's.You simply cant go wrong.I would order his precision barrel nuts as well.

broken6r
12-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Buy the action wrench and barrel wrench from Jim Briggs.I dont see how you will get a new factory tightened barrel off without a reciever wrench.2nd call Jim at 1-763-6824296 and he will get you the at least varmint weight barrel you should buy. His price's are the best around and he will guide you through the whole process.Call and leave a message and HE WILL CALL you back.I can promise you he will.He delivers within a short time and always comes through.He has criterion(kreigers other division) barrels and shilen barrels,both excellent choice's.You simply cant go wrong.I would order his precision barrel nuts as well.

jon, I had already purchased a McGowan from gunshack, so that's already on order. Would have had 2 but they only had one in stock. Jim at NSS is sending me a Shilen for the other rifle, Sav-1 triggers for both, and his barrel nuts for both. While I was talking to him, he mentioned that the wheeler action wrench (already have) doesn't quite fit the center feed savages correctly and can damage the pin on the recoil lug. To play it safe, I also ordered his head for the wheeler action wrench. Which is fine with me, now I have one that'll properly fit old to new model Savages, and Remington 700's. Jim was a ton of help. He also said if I have any questions during my barrel swap to give him a call, and that he would happily walk me through it.

mattm0812
12-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm extremely jealous. My next build is going to be very similar to this.

broken6r
12-22-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm extremely jealous. My next build is going to be very similar to this.

Matt, the guy got me into a ****ed good career. It's the least I could do

mattm0812
12-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Matt, the guy got me into a ****ed good career. It's the least I could do

I gotcha.

Where did you order the rifles from?

broken6r
12-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I gotcha.

Where did you order the rifles from?

I got them from the local gun shop.

mattm0812
12-22-2012, 04:18 PM
What height of the rings did you get?

broken6r
12-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Rings are Weaver Tactical, medium height

DanSavage
12-22-2012, 11:09 PM
broken6r Your a good guy for doing this for your buddy I'm sure he will love it. Do either of you reload or are you going to shoot factory ammo?

broken6r
12-23-2012, 10:28 AM
broken6r Your a good guy for doing this for your buddy I'm sure he will love it. Do either of you reload or are you going to shoot factory ammo?

Dan, factory for now. Although I intend to start rolling my own, just not yet. I want to get the rifles completed first.

broken6r
12-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Well guys, as a single person far from home on Christmas, I got a little bored today......
http://i.imgur.com/ZLznX.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZLznX)It officially starts! Just took the barrel nut wrench, a 1/2" ratchet wrench, action wrench, and a little extra muscle from my roommate to help hold things steady. Here in a bit i'll get the other one off as well. Barrels, recoil lugs, triggers, and new barrel nuts should be here this week or next, and i'll really be able to make some progress!

wbm
12-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Jim came to the rescue with a Shilen 26" in .308Win. He is such a nice guy, that I couldn't say no to new barrel nuts, and Rifle Basix Sav-1 triggers. Jim is that for sure. Oh lordy you are going to like that Shilen!! Bet it does the 175SMk like you want it to at 1 grand. Boy does it ever start with Savages. No cure it!:(

lonestardiver
12-25-2012, 08:47 PM
This looks like too much fun...
I had some thoughts of doing something like this for my son when he got back from Iraq when he left this summer.
Well we got a Christmas present in that his unit got shipped back early as they had sent too many over and they weren't needed.
So we were totally unprepared for his arrival Christmas eve...now I've got to work on a "Happy Late Merry Birthday" present.

Now to find a Stevens 200 short action LH to start with....might as well add a RH too so we can have some friendly competition.

Keep up the good work and letting us know how it goes...

broken6r
12-26-2012, 09:11 AM
This looks like too much fun...
I had some thoughts of doing something like this for my son when he got back from Iraq when he left this summer.
Well we got a Christmas present in that his unit got shipped back early as they had sent too many over and they weren't needed.
So we were totally unprepared for his arrival Christmas eve...now I've got to work on a "Happy Late Merry Birthday" present.

Now to find a Stevens 200 short action LH to start with....might as well add a RH too so we can have some friendly competition.

Keep up the good work and letting us know how it goes...

lone, I don't know about where you are at, but no one here carries the Stevens as everyone is pushing the Axis. I have only ever seen 1 Stevens on the shelf, and that was over a year ago! So if you don't easily find one, have your favorite shop order it in for you (what I had to do). For barrels, definitely give Jim @ Northland Shooter Supply a call. He had another 2 or 3 Shilen select match 26" barrels in stock, in .308 win, and more in other calibers.

lonestardiver
12-26-2012, 11:09 AM
I think my problem is finding the left hand model. May have to go for a model 10/11/12/16 in LH just to get the donor.

broken6r
12-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Well folks, the McGowan, recoil lugs, and metal trigger guards arrived today. Next week should see the arrival of the barrel nuts, Shilen, and triggers, so that I can finally assemble all but the stocks and paint!

broken6r
12-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Here's a question for you all. Does anyone know a place that has B&C Medalist Tactical stocks, in stock? Specifically i'm looking for one in olive web, the other in tan web and it looks like Stockys is completely out of all B&C stocks for the 4.40 centerfeeds, and i'm having a difficult time locating anywhere else that sells them. I could go Choate, but I really do not want to. I just do not like the design of them.

FW Conch
12-30-2012, 11:00 AM
"broken", Shooters Discount.com has Black/Gray web, ODgrn./Black web, Gray/Black web, in stock .... Tan/Black web is Out of
Stock. Price- $240. I got mine there, they were good to deal with. Keep us filled in & Good Luck :) ..... Jim

broken6r
12-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Jim, you're a life saver on the OD stock. That rifle is going to get an earth brown finish on the barrel/receiver. Might have to go with a black/grey web stock, and an o.d. finish on the other if I can't find a tan stock.

broken6r
01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Well gang, here are some more updates.

Ordered:
Brownells:
Alumahyde II in O.D. green and Earth Brown - $12.99 each
Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs - $49.99 each
$139.91 shipped

Shooter's Discount:
B&C Savage Centerfeed or Inline Feed S/A Medalist Tactical/Varmint -OD/Black Web $240.00
B&C Savage Centerfeed or Inline Feed S/A Medalist Tactical/Varmint -Black/Gray Web $240.00
$498.00 shipped

Tactical Works:
Savage Tactical Bolt Handle BT-Style Black (RH) x 2 - $27.00 each
$61.50 shipped

Last night I assembled both receivers, barrels, barrel nuts, and recoil lugs. I was able to get 1 of the EGW 20 MOA rails mounted. Unfortunately a couple screw heads stripped out on me on the other, so I have another set on order from EGW. Word of warning, the metal these screws are made from appears to be pretty soft, so be careful with them!

In the below picture is the result. The Shilen is on top, and the McGowan is on the bottom:

http://i.imgur.com/qiQaB.jpg?1

When I checked my mail this morning, both of my bolt handles from Tactical Works were waiting for me. These were a pretty simple swap. It just takes a 1/4 allen wrench, and a little muscle.

Below are the bolts with the new Savage factory over sized handles installed. I propped up the original bolt handles next to them for a good size comparison. The new bolt handles are much larger, and feel alot better in the hand.

http://i.imgur.com/zEE42.jpg