PDA

View Full Version : Operation "Make A Sniper Cry" - Stevens 200 Build Up x 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

broken6r
12-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Broken;

Where are you located? There is a good chance you're close enough to somebody who can help you with the barrel/stock swaps and finding a place to shoot LR.

Already ordered the tools so i'm good to go. As far as land to shoot on, i'm in a tiny town surrounded by prairie so it shouldn't be too hard. Also got a line on a local guy with a 1,000 yard range on his land he shoots open sights on. Rumor has it if I take him beer, I will likely get permission to use his personal range.

rjtfroggy
12-09-2012, 06:44 AM
I have 6 SS scopes mounted, some with EGW bases and some with Burris XTR. I use the LOW rings for all, SS tactical or XTR tactical, 3 on bull barrels and 3 on varmint.

broken6r
12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Ordered: Weaver 30mm Tactical 6-Hole scope rings x2 from MidwayUSA. $38.49 each: $76.98 total
Ordered (not including in build price): Go/No Go gauges ($25.49 each), Barrel nut wrench ($25.49), action wrench ($58.99): $135.46
Cost to date, not including tools: $1489.32

broken6r
12-09-2012, 01:24 PM
For anyone still reading, I will also be updating my initial post with the running total and parts list as built, as well.

M.O.A.
12-11-2012, 04:12 AM
how about some pics ;-} it sounds like you and your buddy are going to have some fine shooters

Nandy
12-11-2012, 06:55 AM
You are a great friend. Good luck with your build.

shovelheadave
12-11-2012, 08:57 AM
For swaps post factory barrels .......

http://i34.tinypic.com/21omvia.jpg http://i40.tinypic.com/20iwen6.jpg

A rear entry wrench and a open ended spanner. No need to remove the scope or mounts, pull one barrel and slap another on.

Bill

Wow, I really like that set up. The rear entry tool locks up in the lugs ??

broken6r
12-11-2012, 09:14 AM
how about some pics ;-} it sounds like you and your buddy are going to have some fine shooters

Thanks M.O.A.! I'll be sure to get some pics up. The rifles are due to arrive at the local gun store on Thursday. Unfortunately the scopes are going to be delayed. Turns out my bank automatically blocks purchases taking you beyond $1,000 in a day unless you notify them ahead of time. Who would have known?

BillPa
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Wow, I really like that set up. The rear entry tool locks up in the lugs ??

In the lug races in the receiver ring.

Bill

BRIAN G
12-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Just a quick suggestion. You may want to get your barrels on order. Lead times have been running long. I'm in a 12-14 week wait for a CBI now.

jgerrington
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Gun shack just posted they have McGowan prefits in stock .308 cal. I've got one in 300 RUM, just haven't had the time to try it out yet.

broken6r
12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
May have to go the McGowan route. Also liking that they're made near where both of us grew up. Should also add that i'm not ordering barrels until later this week until I have the rifles in hand. Being short actions, they should be small shank. However, I would feel a whole lot better about spending the money when I can put my hands on the rifles and be 100% sure

Samdweezel05
12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
They will be small shank, nothing to worry about there. You did the right thing by buying both go and no-go gauges. I know many people swear by the piece of tape on the case head but I really like my gauges. I also think what you are doing is fantastic. I had plans to do something similar for a family member when they came home from the Afghanistan as a sniper but he was taken from us only weeks after getting home. Keep up the good work.

Nandy
12-11-2012, 08:19 PM
he was taken from us only weeks after getting home.

I hate it when anyone is KIA but I specially hate those that are KIA weeks before the end of their tours... God bless your family and our troops...

broken6r
12-12-2012, 08:46 AM
They will be small shank, nothing to worry about there. You did the right thing by buying both go and no-go gauges. I know many people swear by the piece of tape on the case head but I really like my gauges. I also think what you are doing is fantastic. I had plans to do something similar for a family member when they came home from the Afghanistan as a sniper but he was taken from us only weeks after getting home. Keep up the good work.

Hey buddy thanks for the input. I'm so sorry about your loss. I have been fortunate enough that all those I know that went to that part of the world have returned. They have all come home with severe hearing loss and some bad memories, but that is about the extent. I consider myself fortunate for that.

taylorce1
12-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Good for you, way to return a favor!

B&C A2 Meadlists are in stock at Stocky's right now and Northlander might have some HS Precision in stock as well with DBM. I'd get new recoil lugs and tactical bolt handles from Stockade while your at it, I like the knurled bolt handle a little better than SSS's and the recoil lug can be had in a matte black finish. I love the SSS Competition triggers but you can tune the factory trigger and save some money.

broken6r
12-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Short update for the end of the week. The rifles did not make it to the local gun shop today, so they should hopefully come in on Monday. Also Monday I should receive the scopes and bases from swfa.com. Once the rifles are in hand I will get barrels, stocks, triggers and some kind of finish on the way. Still undecided on the finishes.

Yesterday brought with it the delivery of the action wrench, scope rings, barrel nut wrench, and go/no go gauges from midwayusa.com. Unfortunately midwayusa.com likes to advertise on their boxes, and the UPS guy delivered it to the shop where we work, instead of my house. My buddy i'm doing this for pointed at the box and wanted to know what was in it. Normally he would not let me weasel out of a real answer with something like that, but a stroke of luck ensued when he accepted a shrug of the shoulders, followed by me walking away. Close call, but not close enough.

BTSniper
12-15-2012, 01:07 AM
Cool build projects. Great thing you are doing!

Didn't come across if you picked a trigger yet but I just got one of the rifle basix Sav-1 trigger for about $75 and I must say it is the easiest trigger yet I have found to install and tune. And the resulting trigger pull is better then any of my timmeys or SSS or modified accu triggers. I haven't tried the timmey on the savage yet but on other models I have.

Good shooting!

BT

broken6r
12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry for the delay in updates gang. On Tuesday, I ordered the following:

Competition recoil lugs: $25 x 2
Savage Trigger Guard: Steel Matte: $20 x 2
McGowen 308 Win 26" Varmint Contour Stainless Steel: $249 x 2
Total: $588 plus $22.05 shipping - $610.05 shipped.

This order was from http://www.gunshack.com. Although, I am a little bit concerned. The order is still showing as "processing" on their site, and it does not look like they have even tried to bill me as of yet. Does anyone know how long they normally take to process orders?

broken6r
12-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Update for the day. I got a call from gunshack.com - Unfortunately they only had 1 24" McGowen barrel in stock, in .308Win, so they are going to send me that along with the rest of my order. As luck would have it, I finally got off of work early enough today to call Jim over at NSS. Jim came to the rescue with a Shilen 26" in .308Win. He is such a nice guy, that I couldn't say no to new barrel nuts, and Rifle Basix Sav-1 triggers. Once I get more parts here than just the stock Stevens rifles we have all seen, I will get some progress pictures up.