PDA

View Full Version : 111 Stock Issues

Inebriated
12-08-2012, 07:11 AM
So I got a 111 TH a few months ago. Love the gun. Accurate, the trigger is great... you guys know all about the good things.

My issue is that the magazine has some vertical play in it, and the rifle won't feed a round if I don't press the magazine up into the gun. Has anyone experienced this, and does anyone know of a fix?

Also, the stock is quite flimsy towards the front when there's a bipod on. I know the stock wasn't necessarily designed for use with a bipod, but I like to use one from time to time. Now I've heard of people filling the front of the stock with fiberglass to help get more rigidity out of it. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of that? The rifle isn't a competition or long-range shooter, just one I use for deer and hitting steel at the range (300 yards).

Any input is appreciated!

ellobo
12-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Just change the stock with a Boyds Classic laminate for $98. Its a drop in, no fitting required. They are now evidently making stocks for the centerfeed guns. You can have it checkered for an additional $50.

El Lobo

rcks4me
12-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I just modified a Boyd's stock to fit my DBM on my 111 (they didn't offer it for the DBM) and learned real quick that if the bottom metal isn't in the rite place (up in far enough) it wouldn't feed and the rounds would hit just below the feed ramp. It took some time with a Dremel but got it to fit good and feed perfect. Check and see if the bottom metal is being held down by something or the action is being held up by something. The side to side play in the mag is what it is and shouldn't affect feeding.

I saw a video or a thread somewhere where a guy drilled two rods into the front of the stock then filled it with epoxy... He said it worked well. I was going to try it but the $100 Boyd's stock was nice and gave me something to make my own and stay busy for a few days.

Inebriated
12-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. The only reason I've not replaced the stock yet, is I like the lighter polymer stock that's on it now, which is the only reason I'm considering the whole forend fiberglass thing. If it doesn't go as planned, I'll likely just get a Bud's, or maybe even one of the B&C Carbelites. And I'll tinker around with it, rcks4me.