PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Reloading Questions

beartooth91
12-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I purchased some new, Winchester brass for my new 30-'06. Measuring them; I have two which are about .004" under the minimum trim length. Are these safe to shoot?
Secondly, my stepfather shot some old Winchester 30-'06 ammo, in his rifle. He gave me the fired brass. Is there a safe way to clean it up? I don't have a tumbler.

Thanks

scope eye
12-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi as far as .004 your good to go, one firing will take care of that, as far cleaning you did hear that from me, but I use to put my brass, and stainless steel revolver 44 mag S&W, and my Colt 1911, in the dishwasher and put it on the pots and pans cycle, I kid you not I even put they water spots additive, the brass comes out clean just not shinny like a tumbler, and no it does not bugger up the dishwasher, this all happened while she went shopping or to get her hair done. LOL

Tanks Dean

fgw_in_fla
12-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't worry about inside. I spin mine on the battery drill to trim & clean with steel wool. It affords me the chance to continously inspect each piece for cracks, etc.

A little Lime- Away will clean up any discoloration or tarnish. One quick spritz & the tarnish will jump off the brass.

A small screwdriver will clean out the primer pocket.

Yes, it can be done. And after 4 or 5 hundred pieces, you too will be looking at tumblers.

Frank in Fla

r3dn3ck
12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
000 steel wool (just a quick shine up) will shine the outside of the brass. Don't be aggressive with it... just polish. No bother cleaning the inside unless they're seriously gunky. Small flatblade for the primer pocket is good. Get a tumbler. You'll thank yourself.

fgw_in_fla
12-08-2012, 08:09 AM
I forgot to mention the steel wool that redneck reminded me of. You can spin 'em in the drill all day long. If you don't hold a piece of steel wool to it, it won't clean up very well.
000 works best for me & it's pretty cheap. Cuts with scissors into manageable pieces.

The LimeAway is only for badly tarnished brass. I hate dirty brass. It must be shiny to look good in the box next to me. When your brass shines & looks good, you feel good and when you feel good, you shoot good.

Just a little input from your 'ol Uncle Frank.....

Dennis
12-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi as far as .004 your good to go, one firing will take care of that, as far cleaning you did hear that from me, but I use to put my brass, and stainless steel revolver 44 mag S&W, and my Colt 1911, in the dishwasher and put it on the pots and pans cycle, I kid you not I even put they water spots additive, the brass comes out clean just not shinny like a tumbler, and no it does not bugger up the dishwasher, this all happened while she went shopping or to get her hair done. LOL

Tanks Dean

Dean, how's the inside of the brass after the dishwasher treatment?

I don't worry about inside. I spin mine on the battery drill to trim & clean with steel wool. It affords me the chance to continously inspect each piece for cracks, etc.

I can usually get by with the above method, but after the 4th firing, they go into the ultra sonic cleaner. I use a primer pocket uniformer and steel wool on the outside. It's the quickest and cleanest way to clean brass. I usually run a plastic brush on the inside of the necks. Of course I anneal after the 4th firing as well. I trim as needed, I find the shortest one and go about .001 more on a 3 way Giraud trimmer.

NOTE: I always clean the brass with steel wool before annealing. Annealing comes out great.

Dennis

scope eye
12-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Quote "Dean, how's the inside of the brass after the dishwasher treatment?"

They come out so clean you could EAT of them. LOL

Tanks Dean

JCalhoun
12-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Beartooth,

Unless the cases are just terribly dirty I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning them. I like to use a nylon bottle brush to clean soot & shavings from the inside a little bit of alcohol to clean the wax from the outside. If you just have to make them shiny, Brasso on an old tee shirt works well.

r3dn3ck
12-09-2012, 01:30 PM
BTW... as far as case length goes: .004" short doesn't matter on an ought-six. The case headspaces on the shoulder. .004" long does matter.