PDA

View Full Version : New member, new rifle, new problems.

porkponey
12-07-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm Nate. Savage 10FCP .308. Federal American Eagle 150gr FMJ-BT. Stock bases, Burris Zee rings and a simmons 3-9x40 I'm borrowing off a .22 until I pick some glass. The gun was a mess today.

I can shoot sub 1/2" all day at 50yd with my little baby 16" mkII. The recoil undoubtedly is causing some errors in my shooting, but I was at least comfortable enough that I was able to accurately call my fliers. I couldn't get it sighted in. I would shoot 3, adjust, shoot 3. The adjustments were mathematically correct. Didn't make a difference. I stopped adjusting after about a dozen rounds. Here's what it's doing: It'll shoot 3 into a hole at 50yds. Just a single round hole. It'll shoot the next two or three into a different hole a few inches away. It'll shoot the following 2 or 3 into yet another hole. It just kept changing. The individual groups were what I was expecting from the rifle. Fliers acted just like they normally do, but the POI just kept changing all over the place. Bases are tight. Rings are snugged somewhat properly but are not lapped. Scope does fine on a .22.

Is my garbage scope just not handling the recoil, or does this sound like a base/ring issue? Or does it sound like a shooter issue? Generally I expect there to be bugs to work out, and can avoid disappointment. I think I had too high of expectations for this guy the first time out.

snowgetter1
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I have a Simmons scope that started doing the same thing. I guess the guts are loose in it, but I did have it on a 300 WSM for a while and that is when the moving groups started. Bases could be loose also. Some Savage barrels I have had took about 100 rounds before they really started grouping well also. Others may have more insight for you.

fgw_in_fla
12-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Get rid of the Simmons scope. I've had 3 different Simmons scopes in the past 2 years & ALL of them did the same exact thing. Shifting POI, not holding zero, etc. The classic symptoms are shooting known accurate ammo & having to reset the zero after each shot. Kinda like chasing it all over the target.

I did have one simmons Aetec that I really liked until the reticle fell off the glass.

No more Simmons scopes on any of my centerfire rifles. I do have a 4x to ?x sitting on top of my Marlin .22LR for the grandkids to learn on. Now that one has been holding up but the recoil is comparable to a BB gun.

Swap scopes from another rifle if you can & see what happens. It's a quick way to diagnose without wasting ammo & wracking your brain.
Good luck.
Frank in Fla

porkponey
12-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. It's nice to hear I'm not going nuts. And yes, it's as if I'm chasing POI across the county. I'll dump the simmons as quickly as possible. I've got a barska 10-40x50 that I use for splitting hairs, but I doubt highly that it will take the force either. It works out fine on a .22 as well, but I got it for free-ish and I want to keep it around if I can. I get vortex deals from my job. I guess I'll save some pennies and try one of those.

oaddis3
12-07-2012, 04:28 PM
I had the same problem with my M-11 trophy hunter xp in .308
I used 6-7 different weight bullets and couldnt get mine to zero or group. My bases were tight, but when i switched to a 1 piece mount, my problems went away. Good luck.

fgw_in_fla
12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I have 2 Vortex Vipers.
For the money you get a pretty good glass. The best warranty,too.

If you can swing it, give one a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The 6 -20x is what I use with my long shooters. I have an old 6-24x Barska that I keep waiting to break but it's hanging in there. Except for the cloudiness at max mag, the glass is suitable.

GO ahead.... pick yourself out a Christmas present. You deserve it. You owe it to yourself. I'm sure all the guys here would agree. Happiness is a new scope. And rifle. And spotting scope. And reloading set up.....

Frank in Fla

acemisser
12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
How heavy of a barrel is it? Is it floated or not? Could be a bedding problem..Odd if the scope is bad that it will shoot
3 here and then 3 here and so on..It doesn't sound like the scope to me..Sounds like barrel heat is causing a change..

porkponey
12-08-2012, 01:18 AM
It's a non-threaded fcp-sr. 22" heavyish fluted. A good amount of room in the stock right up to the receiver. Don't believe it's floating at the tang, however. Took a good bit of weight on the rifle to get barrel to contact stock. It did get pretty warm while shooting.

Dennis
12-08-2012, 03:59 AM
when i switched to a 1 piece mount, my problems went away.

You have a fine rifle and I agree with the above. Also, for the money Vortex is a good scope.

My FCP will drill 168 & 175's, handloads and factory bullets. All I have done to my rifle is skim bed the action and tweaked the trigger. For the money the Rifle Basix SAV-2 is a good trigger.

If intersted, PM me and I will tell you which factory bullets work the best in my rifle. Black Hills and HSM are some of the best factory bullets available for the money. Federals GMM shoot well, but are pricey.

Dennis