PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag tactical build (lots of questions - please help)

Tarheelpwr
12-07-2012, 04:35 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be putting together a 300 win mag tactical build. I plan on using a Choate tactical stock.

I'm hoping to use the factory DBM and bottom metal, BUT I'm hoping to find larger capacity mags that will work with the factory set up? Who offers 5-10 round mags for either the 110/116 Trophy Hunter XP? I'd like to avoid replacing the bottom metal since it's so expensive.

I know Sharpe's Shooter Supply offers the 9 round mag for .308, but that will not work for 300 win mag, or will it? Can it be modified to work with the 300 win mag?

Can the Choate Tactical be utilized with the factory DBM set up? What is involved to make it work?

Thanks!

ellobo
12-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I don't think there was ever a magazine ever made that will hold a 300 Win. Mag that was made for a .308. Get a long action.

El Lobo

stangfish
12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78076/Savage+110FCP+HS+PRECISION+300WIN

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/savage-110-long-action.html

Load ammo and shoot till the barrel is burned out. Then buy youreself a high end 5R

The bear hunter would be cool so you could put a brake on it on it.

Tarheelpwr
12-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the input. Still waiting on a reply from SSS on the mag - asked if he could put one together.

For the money, I'd MUCH rather have a Stockade stock. After talking with Kevin to get all the details on his stocks, there's nothing out there that gives more bang for you buck. His bottom metal sounds like its the way to go. $275 includes the inletting. Takes AICS mags.

rinodods
12-08-2012, 05:26 PM
If you really want DBM like that I'd take a good look at CDI. He can work something for you and you can use ACIS pattern mags instead of running to get something made when or if that one breaks.

Tarheelpwr
12-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Rino - that's what I was doing with Stockade. His take standard mags and have some design features I really like.

I also like Seekins now that he uses std mags. I like the realease on thy one.

rinodods
12-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Somehow I missed your stockade post. You'll be happy with the setup.

jz97ss
12-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the input. Still waiting on a reply from SSS on the mag - asked if he could put one together.

For the money, I'd MUCH rather have a Stockade stock. After talking with Kevin to get all the details on his stocks, there's nothing out there that gives more bang for you buck. His bottom metal sounds like its the way to go. $275 includes the inletting. Takes AICS mags.

Post up if he can do a mag for the 300. I'm interested as well.

Tarheelpwr
12-10-2012, 12:08 AM
I'll post what I find out. No reply yet.

jz97ss
12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Any word?

Tarheelpwr
12-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Nope. I think I'm going to avoid SSS. Seems like the CS is about what people said. I talked with Kevin over at Stockade, and I even called Savage and they indicated no one made mags to their knowledge.

jsthntn247
12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Accurate mags make bottom metal and magazines for Savage long actions including the 300 WM. You will need to get a description from them of how to inlet for their bottom metal (ie: M5, Badger, M4, CDI). However I am almost positive they are who Savage contracts out to make their bottom metal for their HS precision and Mcmillan models so a regular factory inlet will work. Call them first and be sure before you have your stock inletted. http://www.accurate-mag.com/BottomMetals.html They also offer a double stack mag that shortens the overall length of the mag for a lower profile. Wish I had the money to put one on my 300.

Tarheelpwr
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Great. Thanks for the info. Still playing angles. I may be better off buying their HS precision model as selling the HS precision stock. Lol, decisions decisions.

Either way, this got put on a back burner. I'm going to attempt to put together an AR while I still can I think