PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought Savage 10FCP in 300wsm

Pages : [1] 2

davkenrem
12-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Hi Guys,

Just joined the Savage club tonight.

I just bought a Savage 10FCP 300WSM for $659.00 at Cabela's in Dundee MI.

It is a Cabela's Special with the Choate Tactical Stock and their DBM.

I went in looking for a Rem. 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD in 308. The had the SPS Varmint in 308 with 1 in 12 barrel, I wanted the 1 in 10 twist barrel. Then I saw the Savages.

At first the guy told me it was a 300 Win Mag. I looked at it and passed initially looked at a Howa then left. I was sitting in the car and tried to google up something on the

Savage on the web, found nothing on the 300win mag, (which I thought it was) but realized the parts we at least worth the money. I went back and looked at it again and realized it was a short action 300WSM.

I figured at that price I can't go wrong. If I don't like the 300wsm I can rebarrel for something I do. Plus everything done to this rifle I would have done to the Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD, Stock, DBM, Bolt knob, which would have cost close to a grand. This is basically done at $700 out the door.

I can't find anything on this model on the web. Found on link to one sold online Cabelas gun library but no specs. I D/L ed their 2012 catalog and can find a 300wsm in a 12fp but not a 10FCP.

I'm guessing the barrel is a 1 in 10 from thier catalog but I dont know. Looks like the DBM will only hold 2 300WSM. are there other magzines available for this rifle?

Anybody know anything about it?

Thanks in advance

rrflyer
12-07-2012, 12:48 AM
It's a cabelas only special. I have one in 223 and really like the stock for the price.

I'm not sure but I think the WSMs take a large shank barrel. Just keep it in mind if you decide to swap.

The 300wsms a neat round though..... Enjoy.

davkenrem
12-07-2012, 12:49 AM
thanks, ammo's not cheap, Gonna have to reload for it.

stangfish
12-07-2012, 11:16 AM
You might want to determine who makes the mag. It may be a factory savage. I so Fred at SSS may be able to help you with a very nice setup that is a direct fit. You will really see the accuracy/potential if you single load with the heavy bullets hanging out.

davkenrem
12-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I returned the Savage today. The rear tang on the action had a gap between it and the stock like it was torqued down. When I removed the action from the stock it would rock back and forth on the bedding block. It's like the bedding block was molded in crooked and the drilled the holes straight.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv44/ahwwwjeah/2012-12-08_07-57-04_28.jpg

They at first told me that they would have to send it back to the manufacturer. I ask the girl was that my only option? She said "all firearm sales are final and that was all SHE could offer me" Hinting I should ask for a manager. He came took the gun, inspected it, then looked at the other one the had in stock and It was the same way. So they could not do an exchange. I wonder if Choate sold stocks that were from a botched run to a distributor who made them up and sold them to Cabelas?

At any rate they first offered to give me store credit, I asked the they could order me a 10FCP 308 McMillan?. They took down the info and checked if they had one in the system, (one of their other stores). They did not and said they were very backed up on special orders. They took my info and said it would take a few minutes to do the paper work to "require" the gun. When she called me back to the register I thought I would be getting a gift card and waiting a few months for a new McMillan stoked rifle to come in. We went the register to checkout and she said "do you want the gift card?" I said, " Is that my only option?" And she said "I can put it back on your card" I jumped on that and she refunded my $688.00 to my card.

Overall, I'm very happy the way it turned out. I started out wanting to buy a Remington and build it up, which would have cost $1500.00 w/o glass. Not finding the Remington I wanted, I chose the Savage, I had considered the Choate stock as an option for the Remington build, but now that I've handled one, I can see that it is not an option for me. I can buy the 10FCP .308 McMillan for $1058.00 from Buds right now. I think I will be overall happier with the 10FCP .308 McMillan than any other gun for around a grand. I hadn't even considered the Savage previously.

This is all Bigbore (adco firearms) and Magpul's fault anyway. Two things happened interdependently, 1.) I was on the west side of town and swung into Steve new location for the first time since he moved. Hanging on the wall he had an FN SPR with a suppressor on it. It made me drool. I asked how much it was knowing it was beyond my wallet, and he said $4200 as it sat. Just the rifle alone was $1900. 2.) I on a whim ordered Magpul's Art of the Precision Rifle.( I bought all the other ones) The two combined gave me bolt gun-itus. I sold a couple of little used guns and had $800.00 in my hands and went shoppin. Granted I probably "pulled the trigger" on the Savage/Choate too soon, it was an impulse buy. But factor 1 and 2 along with severe regret in having to sell this back in 2004 made me want another bolt gun bad. I believe I have settled on the 10FCP .308 McMillan as the most I can afford these days. Chasing down a few used ones now.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv44/ahwwwjeah/rifle_in_case.jpg

ellobo
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
You can build a rifle to your specs off a Savage model 200 action. Stock, trigger, bolt handle barrel etc. for probably less tha a factory gun you want. Not very hard to do. Read as many posts here as you can to see how others have done it. Most are very very happy campers. You can get an action from Jim Briggs of Northland Shooting Supplies who advertises here. Plus he can give you all kinds of advice on parts and technique. He is a highly respected guy here.

El Lobo

rrflyer
12-09-2012, 11:03 PM
That rear tang is supposed to float like that!

As for the bedding block .... Are you saying that the bedding block was actually wiggling around?

dnsmith
12-10-2012, 01:04 PM
I know it can be a little disconcerting to see a fitment issue like that, but my guess is that that rifle would have been a shooter. At worst you can get a gunsmith to clean up the fit a little bit (or DIY).

I say this bc if you order a 10 FP McMillan from Bud's, you might be in for more of the same when you open the box. There might be some non-flush-fitting parts, or the barrel might appear slightly askew in the stock, etc. The issues aren't confined to Savages, either, just do a little google-fu and you will see the complaints about the Remingtons.

It's your money and I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting a properly-fitted rifle. I just think you are playing a little bit of a lottery if you're buying a factory rifle these days. even if you're dropping $1,000-2,000.

OTOH, all of the savages I have bought have been shooters, even with the perceived fitment issues. I have a Model 40 and a Mark II, both with visibly off-center barrels. Both are tackdrivers.

Savage13
12-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Just looked at EVERY Savage we have on our shelf here that has a rear tang ( Including a m10 .300 WSM in a Choate stock.) They ALL have a floating tang.

1ShotKing
12-10-2012, 05:14 PM
The consensus is that the rear tang SHOULD be floating.

1ShotKing

Bossman
12-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Choate floats the tang 3/16" in their Savage stocks.

davkenrem
12-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Hmm thanks for the info men, it was dis concerting. But now I am educated I can purchase wiser now. I guess I was spoiled by the fit and finish of my Winchester M70. But that was a custom gun not factory.

davkenrem
12-11-2012, 06:45 AM
That rear tang is supposed to float like that!

As for the bedding block .... Are you saying that the bedding block was actually wiggling around?

No, when unbolted the action would rock on the bedding block, not sit flush. Either down on the front screw with the tang a 1/4" up or the tang down flush and the front of the action a 1/4" off the front of the bedding block. Put both screws in and u could snug it down flush in front but the tang was up like in the photo. It seemed to me that the bedding block was high in the rear.

thomae
12-11-2012, 08:22 AM
davkenrem: It's not so much a fit and finish issue, but rather a totally different receiver design that requires a different action to stock fitment.

If you bed the rifle, you will likely get rid of the "rocking."
It could possibly be a high spot in the stock. If you can figure out where the high spot is, you could simply use a rotary tool and grind it down.

Bossman
12-11-2012, 10:16 AM
No, when unbolted the action would rock on the bedding block, not sit flush. Either down on the front screw with the tang a 1/4" up or the tang down flush and the front of the action a 1/4" off the front of the bedding block. Put both screws in and u could snug it down flush in front but the tang was up like in the photo. It seemed to me that the bedding block was high in the rear.

Read this from Choate's description. It may help clear this up- http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/06-06-02

"There will be an 3/16 gap under the safety on all the Savage Varmint, Tactical and Sniper stocks. The action should only touch on the V of the bedding block and back of the recoil lug. The gap at the back is normal for Savage actions when installed in our stocks"

dnsmith
12-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Read this from Choate's description. It may help clear this up- http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/06-06-02

"There will be an 3/16 gap under the safety on all the Savage Varmint, Tactical and Sniper stocks. The action should only touch on the V of the bedding block and back of the recoil lug. The gap at the back is normal for Savage actions when installed in our stocks"

there's your answer right there.

dnsmith
12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Hmm thanks for the info men, it was dis concerting. But now I am educated I can purchase wiser now. I guess I was spoiled by the fit and finish of my Winchester M70. But that was a custom gun not factory.

you can always go back and re-buy the Savage, we won't make fun of ya!

whether it is a fitment issue or not, I'm with you that a flush tang looks better than a proud tang (I have two accustock Savages that display a "floating" tang). I've got an FN Model 70, no proud tang there. Also my remingtons have a flush tang. Hasn't hurt the accuracy on any of them. Just IMHO.

Bossman
12-11-2012, 02:47 PM
I believe it's the responsibility of the gun dealer (Cabela's) to have knowledge about the products they sell- davkenrem's questions and concerns should have been answered at that store.

davkenrem
12-13-2012, 02:15 AM
I bought this.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/savage-arms-10fcp-mcmillan-102871/

Unfired, Rifle only $875.00 shipped.

jonbearman
12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
If I were you,buy the cheaper stevens and do a build. It is so easy once you understand how easy it is to headspace the barrel using the imfamous barrel nut that anyone with any mechanical skills can do it the first time properly using a go gage.