PDA

View Full Version : In need of some advice

Pages : 1 [2]

RyanG
12-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Dean,

Thanks for the info! I have a ton of 7mm Mag brass here so thats cool. But just to be sure all I have to do is resize it and trim it to length? I dont have to ream the necks or anything like that? Man I got the hell beat out of me on another board for asking this question about 308 brass to 260....

scope eye
12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
No one beats up anybody and there's no ganging up either, that's what I like about this forum, these are are the steps I take, you may think some of the steps are redundant but they are not, if I skip a step I can tell just by looking at the brass and can feel it when I am chambering it or pressing the bullet in, it does not take that much longer and it's not like your doing a 1000 of them, here are the steps,

First run the brass threw your 7mm full length die and deprime it. so your starting with a piece of prepped brass.

Second run the brass threw your 264 win mag full length die without they expander just an empty die. that eases the transition of the neck.

Third now put they expander back in and screw it all the way to the top of the die so it is level with the neck, and run it threw again this is the secret to no reaming.

What this does is it transition the brass into shape instead of obliterating it in to shape, think about what would go on in one step to do all that, I do that with all my resizing and have no stuck cases in the chamber or in the dies.

Tanks Dean

RyanG
12-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Scope Eye!

Now I just learned something here that I didnt even consider! Taking the expander out of the die! Now why didnt I ever think about that. When I was doing the 308's to 260 I did it in one step and ruined several pieces of Hornady match brass. I think the first time I loaded them the necks were too thick and I caused pressure. The primer pockets got loose and on the second loading they blew the primer out. I did notice that the primers went in a bit easy but didnt think much about it. I ended up blowing two of the primers out and broke the ejector on my son's brand new birthday present... On his second shot! Was no big deal I pulled all the loaded ammo and reloaded it with new brass for the 260. I had the new parts for the bold head in my safe so it wasnt that big of a deal. I felt like a shmuck because my loads caused a problem. With your method I may try and resize them again. I have 800 to a 1000 match brass for the 308.

Again thanks.... many thanks!

Ryan

scope eye
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Remember now start from scratch just like you had never touched them, that should fix all the !@#$% up ones. LOL

Tanks Dean

stangfish
12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm gonna show my ignorance once again, how are those different?

Perhaps I should have stated Radial misalignment is acceptable, meaning concentricity is not. The axis of the action and the barrel as well as the scope are critical.