PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110FP - light hunting stock

sacher
01-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi,

I am writing you, because I just bought a used Savage 110FP (year of manufacture: 1997) in .308 Winchester and left hand.

Itīs a bit heavy due to the thick barrel.

I want to use it as a hunting rifle an therefore I am trying to get it as light as possible.

So my question is:

Which light stock (synthetic preferred) can you recommend for hunting?

Thanks for your help!!!

sacher

dcloco
01-03-2010, 03:16 PM
B & C Duramaxx.

Or, if yours is equipped with the factory synthetic stock, buy a piece of U shapped channel and epoxy this in place...from under the recoil lug to the end of the stock.

sacher
01-03-2010, 03:55 PM
First of all thanks for your answer!

Is the Duramaxx available in LH? I could not find any information on there homepage.

Do you know how much weight I might save?

Thanks

dcloco
01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
What stock does your rifle currently have? Factory plastic?

If so, Duramaxx will weigh real close, if not the same.

sharpshooter
01-04-2010, 02:41 AM
The factory stock is lighter than the Duramax. You won't find any stocks lighter than the factory unless you want to spend more on them than the rifle is worth.

sacher
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks a lot!!!

Then I will stick with the factory stock.

Just out of interest: Which stocks would be lighter and recomendable?

Uncle Jack
01-04-2010, 07:56 PM
If you have a heavy barrel, the difference in weight of a different stock is going to be neglegible.

uj

rinodods
01-06-2010, 03:40 AM
B & C Duramaxx.

Or, if yours is equipped with the factory synthetic stock, buy a piece of U shapped channel and epoxy this in place...from under the recoil lug to the end of the stock.

Any pics of this in place. I've been looking for good ideas to stiffen up the factory stock. Most involve various epoxy arrow shaft combos but this is the first I've seen of your suggestion.

sacher
01-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks for yout time and thoghts!

I have already suspected, that a lighter barrel would not make a great difference. But it could have been that you with your knowledge would have been able to show me a solution.
Anyway, I am happy now, because I know, that the factory stock is the way to go.

I am planing to shorten the barrel to 20 or even 18 inch and that will give me a mjor loss in weight.

Again thanks for your help!

It would be great to continue with rinodods question and with dcloco suggestion. IT might be very interesting for me, too.

dcloco
01-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Any pics of this in place. I've been looking for good ideas to stiffen up the factory stock. Most involve various epoxy arrow shaft combos but this is the first I've seen of your suggestion.

Per your request. Key to the project...making sure the U channel aluminum goes UNDER the recoil lug and drill holes for the sling/bipod eyes. Couple these with the epoxy and this makes for a very stiff stock....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dcloco/SavStock001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dcloco/SavStock004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dcloco/SavStock008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dcloco/SavStock005.jpg

rinodods
01-07-2010, 03:39 AM
Very nice. Thanks for the visual.

sacher
01-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the pictures!

dcloco
01-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Forgot to add, I roughed up the aluminum with some 40 or 60 grit so the epoxy resin would have a good surface to adhere to. Same thing with the stock channel....gotta be rough for the resin to grab.

This particular stock is now on my hunting buddy's kids rifle. We set him up with a 12FV in 223 with a bipod. Him and the rifle get along rather well together. :)

sims5
01-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Where would I get the aluminum piece to put in the stock? Can you show another angle as to how it goes under the recoil lug?

Thanks

dcloco
01-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Where would I get the aluminum piece to put in the stock? Can you show another angle as to how it goes under the recoil lug?

Thanks

Picked up a three foot stick at ACE Hardware. I am 655.1 miles from home....no other pics available to me.

I slightly notched the aluminum for clearance of the recoil lug. I removed plastic behind the recoil lug so the U channel will slide into that area behind the recoil lug. When I epoxied the U channel in place, the barrelled action was installed so I had a perfect fit. After the epoxy dried, I then bedded the action, including the recoil lug area as normal (I bed the action and lug...extending the bedding area about an inch past the lug).