PDA

View Full Version : specailty pistol

rjtfroggy
12-04-2012, 06:02 PM
For those of you who visit that site what are your likes/dislikes?
Reason I ask is I have been wanting a striker for some time now and will probably start looking over there for one.
Been watching over at gunbroker for some time now but just had a bad experience with the site itself not a seller so now I'll start elsewhere.

Jamie
12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I have been a member over there for quite awhile (couple years I think) and have had no issues other than the normal internet gunsite issues,bad information by those who swear they are correct because it was on the internet and you know they can put anything not true on the internet. Most of the people are good enough though, don't recall any serious problems with anyone. I am there, Neal, Blue Tinkerer and sure there is a couple more. I never had a bad buy or sell over there.

358Hammer
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
If I were in the market for a striker I would contact Jim@ Northland SHooters Supply and buy an undesignated lefthand action. It has been some time maybe a month since I spoke with him and he had several left bolt left port Savage actions that would make an awesome handgun.

I know where there are a couple stocks if you end up with an action.

Neal

tinkerer
12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Hammer,

Huh? There is no left undersignated, is there?

And Jim does not say there are any left handed available at all. I've been looking.

Larry
Tinkerer

tyler.woodard04
12-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Been over there for a few myself. Hold onto your wallet! These sp's can go from mild to wild in a hurry. You can also build off a rifle action if you keep the barrel over 16" and overall length over 26". But its still a rifle and all such rules apply.

rjtfroggy
12-05-2012, 05:58 AM
358hammer, have you been intercepting my thoughts.I had saved a pm telling me where to get a stock,and if all goes as planned I will contact that person.;)

358Hammer
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Actually he did have undesignation action as indicated- kind of why I put the information out there. Who, where, if, today I haven't any idea. I did get a call yesterday from someone on the inside who is trying to get Savage to sell him a 375 Ruger barrel and he had talked to Jim about one of those actions. His intention is to build a repeating specialty pistol for a Brown Bear hunt. Actually we had a couple of conversations and landed on a 375 Ruger as I did not know Savage was making a rifle in that caliber. If I wasn't currently playing with a 375 RUM on my Striker I too would be trying to get a 375 Ruger barrel.

One can just get a target Action and Jim at Centershotrifles.com has two handgun stocks left.

Neal

Blue Avenger
12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Jim & Tony the ones making the stocks now?

Appleseed
12-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I like SP forum. The members posting here have been very helpful getting started with the striker. I bought a non-deignated model 12 left hand action from the factory but didn't like the rear grip stock. I don't shoot big calibers however, the rear grip may be what you want for those.

I think pistols posted on SP are usually priced reasonably and there doesn't seem to be a bunch of dickering. Although, wish they would make the for sale page for paid members, like here. That might slow the trollers buying and re-selling. I bid on at least four strikers on an auction site, never met reserve. Bought one on SP $200 less than my highest refused bids.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Designated or "undesignated" action? Depends on the length of the barrel and the OAL of the rig. Consider a left or right hand rifle action set up in a rear grip stock. Shorter barrel (as long as it's at least 16") could probably get the same style you after? And less work than messing with the trigger on a Striker.
Left hand model 12 makes a real nice Striker type SP. And deadly accurate to boot!
Or, if $$ isn't a problem, go with a target action. I prefer a rifle action so I can shoot it both ways (rifle or rear grip SP). And a rifle action with a small shank barrel has more options for parts swaping.
If you're a right handed shooter, the left hand rifle action works like a dream.
Keep your right hand on the grip and work the bolt with your "free" left hand.
If you're a lefty, go right hand action and use your right hand to feed ammo and work the bolt while your left hand holds the grip.
Takes a few minutes to figure out why you didn't go that way a long time before.
As far as the Specialty Pistol forum? If you hang around there too long, the $$ will fly away from your wallet and you'll be wondering why! Too many good ideas to pass up.

Appleseed
01-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Hammer,

Huh? There is no left undersignated, is there?

And Jim does not say there are any left handed available at all. I've been looking.

Larry
Tinkerer

I ordered one from the custom shop last year. Effie knows what to make for a left/left pistol build. It was a standard 10/12 action, not the target action. Sold it new to a member on SP site, can't remember who but keep waiting for him to post some pictures, (as I loaned him a stock to use as a pattern hope he remembers)!

Ed Carey
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm a member there also, same screen name, found it to be a very good sight, very educational much like this sight, great people, I shoot contenders haven't jumped off the fiscal cliff for other specialty pistols, they can make you a poor man once they get into your blood

Ed

Rupe
02-25-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm on SP as well and I think I may have got bit by that darn bug. I have a Striker 516 in .308 win. and just bought a .243 win. barrel to cut down to 14 or 15 inches. Then it's muzzle brake time. And of course I am thinking about the next caliber/barrel that I want.
and scopes, and and and $$$$$$ (I'm to poor for this, but you only live once) LOL
Rupe

jibben
02-25-2013, 09:46 AM
you guys see the new 7fingers stocks?

tinkerer
02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about with them trying to help you build a pistol. NOBODY over there would knowlingly help you spend your money. snerk.

Larry
Tinkerer

Rupe
02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Ya right Tinkerer Your the one that talked me in to buying the .243 barrrel! :-D

Rupe

Topstrap
03-08-2013, 11:14 PM
you guys see the new 7fingers stocks?

You mean these?

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/4895/allfourguns1.jpg

Should be getting a 2 inch longer version than the XP-100 for my Savage Target Action next weekend. Will try to get pictures up of it all together.

I'm on SP also. Good group of pistol shooters, lots of info and sharing of what we've all found that makes these things work.

Topstrap