PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinoins on Rings and 1 Piece Base

Pages : [1] 2

jbsavage11
12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
I finally decided to put a good quality optic on top of my Model 11 non accutriger (gun was purchased new in 06 so I believe that it is a round back receiver). The optic that I chose was the Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 mil/mil scope. Now I need a one piece base and some rings for it. The bases that I was looking at were either the EGW 1 piece 0 MOA (around $40)or the Weaver Tactical extended multislot 0 MOA (around $30). What's the verdict on either of these or are they just about the same? I'm not sure where to even start with rings there are way too many options. So opinions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks

bfwhite
12-04-2012, 06:03 PM
I have a Ken Farrell one piece base and Burris Zee Rings. I like this setup. I do not have experience with the two bases you mentioned. I highly recommend the Burris Zee Rings.

stomp442
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Yep Burris zee rings all the way. I also really like the EGW bases.

1ShotKing
12-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I have the Weaver 0 MOA base. Great fit and finish. It has a recoil lug built it, some people like the idea some couldn't be bothered. I think it is a good idea personally. Here's a picture of it on my rifle if it helps at all.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt353/kevink400/Stevens%20200/photo19.jpg
1ShotKing

jbsavage11
12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. It seems that the Burris Zee rings are somewhat popular. I'll definitely give those a look. Any idea on what height to get? So far 3 different responses & 3 different bases.

thomae
12-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Check this: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?168-Burris-Signature-Zee-Ring-Heights-Shim-Info

Then carefully measure your scope and do the math. You can't go wrong.

bfwhite
12-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I know I posted I have a Ken Farrell base on one savage rifle. I decided to try the EGW base (purchased from Optics Planet) on the new 300wm I purchased. I will let you know what I think of the EGW base when I get it hopefully by mid-week next week. i did order the Burris Zee rings (purchased from Optics Planet) again. The total for the base ann rings was $95.

Macrosill
12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I have the Burris Tactical rings on my rifle with an EGW 20moa 1 piece base. I have a 40mm objective. I had to go with medium rings for the scope to clear the base but I have a long action, 110. On a short action you might be able to get away with a set of low rings.

stomp442
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I have a few rifles set up with egw bases and I use mediums with scopes that gave a 50mm objective.

thomae
12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
EGW or weaver one piece bases are fine, and for most scopes Burris Signature Zee rings in Medium height work well. The Burris inserts help to eliminate the scope alignment issues that can help ruin a scope.

cptslick
12-06-2012, 09:51 PM
I finally found the right people to answer the question I had, www.theriflescopestore.com I emailed Scott there a few hours ago and within an hour he answered all the questions I had on Bases,rings and scope for my Model 11 Hog Hunter.

Stockrex
12-18-2012, 03:15 PM
I found the front screws were too long, I had to grind them down a bit, they were binding into the barrel threads.

efm77
12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
I like the EGW's too but wish they would make an HD model for the old flat rear receiver as I'm not a fan of the wide gap down the middle with the small studs on the sides to hold the ring bolt. I also have and like the Ken Farrell too but they're pricey and I can't afford them for every one of my rifles. A also like the Warne one piece bases and have quite a few of them too.

1ShotKing
12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Just installed the Weaver 1 piece base and Leupold PRW on the new rifle. Love this setup.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt353/kevink400/Model%2012%20VLP%20DBM/photo3_zpsb9e0e760.jpg

helotaxi
12-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I like the Burris Signature Zee rings, except when used with a rail. Puts the scope way too far above the rifle for my liking.

The cut down the middle of the basic EGW rail isn't an issue as it weakens the rail in no appreciable way.

efm77
12-21-2012, 07:26 AM
"I like the Burris Signature Zee rings, except when used with a rail. Puts the scope way too far above the rifle for my liking."

That's why I have that combination. My barrel profile is heavy enough that I have to have the height to clear the barrel.

"The cut down the middle of the basic EGW rail isn't an issue as it weakens the rail in no appreciable way."

I disagree with that but you use what you want. There's two little studs basically holding the ring bolt instead of an entire slot to displace it. I emailed EGW several times in the past about this and they told me if I was going to use it on a larger caliber that they recommended using the HD model over the standard model.

helotaxi
12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
If the rings are correctly installed, you will find that a truly colossal amount of force will be required to even slightly deform those two "lugs". And of course they recommend the HD model. It is more expensive and another sale for them.

If you need the extra height, then fine. What I've found is that a 50mm objective will clear a varmint profile barrel with low rings on EGW bases. I have three rifles so configured. With medium Burris rings on an EGW base the scope is so high that I can't get a consistent cheek weld.

efm77
12-22-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm using a Warne on mine which may be a little lower than the EGW but not by much. I too have a varmint contour barrel and Medium rings wouldn't allow enough clearance for my 50mm when I used the offset inserts as the objective touched the barrel. Of course different brands of scopes outside dimensions vary too. You're probably right about the lugs on the EGW base but I was merely stating my preference. You're entitled to yours as well which is basically what I eluded to, it's just not my preference. To each their own.

n10sivern
12-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Is there that much of a difference between a $30 weaver base and the 3x more expensive bases? I'm a believer that just because it costs more doesn't always mean it is better. Also, why does everybody love the zee rings so much? Outside of the potential to adjust moa with the inserts, what can they offer that properly lapped rings can't? A moa adjusted base could accomplish what the inserts do. I'm not trying to buck what everybody likes, but I need a base and rings for my new build. I am just trying to understand what would be my best options and make the right purchase the first time, but also spend my money wisely and not just buy something because of a name.

efm77
12-24-2012, 09:52 AM
You nailed part of it with being able to cant the scope without using up too much internal adjustments. The screw holes in a receiver aren't always drilled perfectly and sometimes can be out of line. The receiver could be slightly warped and it helps with this as well. Plus the plastic inserts don't scratch up the scope which makes it more appealing if you ever wanted to sell your scope.