PDA

View Full Version : Me new favorite part of the deer....

Nandy
12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
The heart... It is awesome. Cleaned the fat and the veins, sliced it in steaks and put it in a soy/olive oil/minced garlic/black pepper/lemon home made marinade and will leave it there until tomorrow BUT... Since I could not wait got one of the steaks out after an hour. Wrap it in bacon, preheat the oven for 350 deg and did a 5 min one side, 6min the other to leave it medium rare. Bacon was not as crisp as I like, I generally do 450 deg and 6 to 8 minutes per side for the backstrap and the bacon comes out toasty BUT the backstraps get close to well done. I think I need to precook the bacon... Anyway, I could compare it to rib eye steaks... The bad part is that the heart is high in cholesterol so be careful. I started using the low sodium soy sauce....

Have you guys tried it?

brtelec
12-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I love heart. Since the rest of the family never had an interest in it that left it all for me.

irondog54
12-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Love hearts! Deer, pig, beef.... they go for cheap at the meat shop at times

CJnWy
12-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Both the heart and liver fried with onions make for great camp meat,very seldom makes it back home! You can add the tongue to the list too.

tyler.woodard04
12-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Usually cook it up that day my self. Cut into 1/2" thick rings saute with butter garlic and onions. Perfect. That is unless i blow it apart at the shot. That kinda sucks!

Nandy
12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Usually cook it up that day my self. Cut into 1/2" thick rings saute with butter garlic and onions. Perfect. That is unless i blow it apart at the shot. That kinda sucks!

Neck shots is what I take all the time on a relaxed deer up to 150 Yds. After 200 yes it starts to get iffy unless I have a very good rest and the conditions are ideal. This Doe was just hanging out outside of the tree line so it was a perfect candidate.

tyler.woodard04
12-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Took one at 330 with striker opening day. Feeding doe laying prone just did not want to try the neck shot. I was thinking about it though

Nandy
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
At 330yds I would probably not try it but that is me and my skills(or lack of there off) but I understand it totally doable. I ate the rest of the heart today but the bad part is that I set the oven to 450 (to try to get the bacon a bit more crispy) and that proved to be a little too much and it end up being well done. Still tasty... Going again tomorrow, between me and the other guys I hope I can get another heart by the end of the weekend...

rattfink
12-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Heart is the only organ meat I really enjoy. Its rich flavor is wonderful.

helotaxi
12-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Doctor's orders: No organ meat. All yours! Of course the one that I shot this year took a .308 cal bullet right through the heart so it was hamburger. The elk went down the same way.

MrMajestic
12-12-2012, 11:28 PM
add the tongue to the list too.

My God, how you eat something that came out of an animals mouth? I think I'll stick with eggs!

CJnWy
12-13-2012, 12:21 AM
My God, how you eat something that came out of an animals mouth? I think I'll stick with eggs!

Now that right there is funny, almost missed it!
Spent too much time at the grandparents as a child I guess........The dog was lucky to get anything leftover from those two :o Heck they made oxtail out of the whitetail stubb!!

thomae
12-13-2012, 08:30 AM
My God, how you eat something that came out of an animals mouth? I think I'll stick with eggs! Tongue: Yumm! Tender, melt in your mouth meat when prepared correctly. It's a muscle, just like any other meat. Perhaps you need to find someone with a better recipe than you've used in the past. It makes a big difference.

What usually puts people off about tongue is that the consistency is different than traditional red meat muscle. I, on the other hand, really like it a lot. Of course, I also like oriental jellyfish salad and other "weird" food. I don't like liver, however, so when we go hunting, I'll trade you liver for tongue.

To each his own. As long as there's food, it's all good.