PDA

View Full Version : Torque values for mid 1980's vintage 30-06

twocan
12-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I just finished sanding the rear of my stock to create space below the tang on my Model 110 in .30-06 rifle (Ser. No F6688xxx), and upon reassembly, I found that if I firmly tighten the forward screw (next to the recoil lug) it will project just far enough into the receiver to bottom out against the bolt lug or, if assembled without the bolt in place will stop the bolt from rotating to the end of its travel.

Clearly this is unsatisfactory.

Is the best solution to grind down the end of the forward bolt just enough to clear the Bolt Lug, and then what would be the proper amount of torque to tighten the bolt? Should the rear receiver bolt be tightened to the same value?

Another alternative would be to put a washer between the receiver and the stock, but I'm afraid that this would affect the line up with the stock.

Capt. Art

jonbearman
12-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Grind the bolt off shorter,not uncommon due to overtightening over the years and squishing the escutcheon into the stock too much. When you are done,torque to 35 inch lbs on the front first then try 20 in the back,shoot a 3 shot group,now increase torque in 5# increments to find out where it shoots best.

twocan
12-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks, jonbearman.

Should I increase both in 5# increments or just the rear?

Is the goal to have both at the same torque value to avoid stressing the receiver?

I appreciate your help.

jonbearman
12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Just the rear.

twocan
12-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks again, jonbearman.

I took 0.040" off of the bolt and torqued the front bolt to 35 in-lbs and the rear to 20 in-lbs and it sits on the stock smooth as silk.

All that is left to do is shoot a few groups to finalize the correct torque for the rear screw.

Capt. Art