PDA

View Full Version : Factory Stock for 111 any good?

Morti55
12-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I just bought a 111FXP3 in .270WIN. I have read several threads that the synthertic stock is a POS and i should go aftermarket. So after lots of reading I am thinking I need a stock with the following qualifications A) Long action B) Accu-Trigger C) Centerfed D) Box magazine. Quite a lot of qualifiers, especially the AccuTrigger, which being newer makes it almost impossible to find a reasonably priced hunting stock. I already ditched the Sino-Simmons scope and need to get a Weaver rail to mount my Viper Vortex. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am bug eyed from looking at my monitor,thanks.

jpdown
12-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Get some Weaver Grand Slam steel or Burris Xtreme Tactical bases and some Burris Signature Zee rings and you should be able to mount most scopes on the LA. Savage appears to have improved the synthetic stock and I believe they are a little stiffer than they where several years ago. I think with a bedding job on the recoil lug and action so the the barrel and tang are floated you'll get sub 1" MOA with the synthetic factory stock. Clean the stock with acetone to remove all surface oil and spray it with a little Krylon silver webbing spray and everyone will think it is a custom stock.

1983Weatherby
12-19-2012, 04:31 AM
The stock is completely fine for the price range of the gun. I own the exact same gun in the exact same caliber. My scope is a crappy bushnell and the mounts came loose after shooting a couple rounds so I was only able to get 3" groupings. But since I have put locktite on the scope threads I imagine I can get 1" groupings now. I will post back and let you know. I also do not have an accustock. I simply removed 1.5 coils off the trigger spring and now its super light and crisp.