PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 93R17 GLV: It's now accurate and reliable

DreamMaker
12-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Making this rifle reliable and accurate has been a real journey. Besides having every know reliability problem it wouldn't group under 2.5 inches @ 50 yards. The rifle will now consistently shoot under 1/2 inch @ 65 yards if I do my part. I think it will due even better with more rounds down the tube and shooting for groups in zero wind conditions. Performs well with Hornady 17 grain, but the 20 grain HP's appear to be a tad bit more accurate - time will tell.

This is what I did in (chronological order):

Free floated the barrel.... some improvement
Gave bore 2 treaments of J-B paste... no measurable improvement, but a good practice for a rough bore
Had Jim Pixley cut barrel to 20 inches, thread for suppressor and recrown.... major improvement
Added DIP bottom metal and large washer to rear action bolt... provided a more stable base for torque adjustments

I'm still playing with torque adjustments, but 1/2 - 1 full turn past firmly snug is where I'm at right now. Now that it's a keeper, I'll bed the action. Right now I'm noodling how I want to go about it. I want to keep the OEM wood stock, but it needs to be made solid and repeatable. Once bedded, I'll go through the action torque process with my torque driver.

22-250
12-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I have a Savage 93R17 GLV .17HMR. She has been a tack driver consistently out to 150 yards out of the box from day one. Wouldn't change a thing about mine.

outback andy
12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Yea, you just got a bad one I guess, I have the savage 93 in .22 Mag and from day one groups inside a dime at 50 yards, just need to find good ammo.

DreamMaker
12-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Yea, you just got a bad one I guess, I have the savage 93 in .22 Mag and from day one groups inside a dime at 50 yards, just need to find good ammo.

Since I'm a handloader I'm very aware as to the importance of ammo testing and selection. I've confirmed the Hornady 20 grain is a bit more accurate than the 17 grain V-Max. Still waiting for a zero wind day to wring out the best it has to offer.

In my case the muzzle crown was definitely bad and the barrel was binding in the stock. Luck of the draw for my spontaneous purchase of a LH model.

CATWHISKERS
12-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I have a 93 17 hmr, shoot raged holes at a 100yds. love mine.

bgc
01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
No kidding the SCU (Spousal Control Unit) uses her 93R17BTVS at 200 yards. This is out of the box after breaking in. Perhaps talking to the folks at Savage could provide some insight on what could be happening.
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp291/bcls430/Firearms/photo_zps02b44028.jpg

I did tag it with a 5.56 while she was shooting(someone had to try and show her up)