PDA

View Full Version : 114 american classic 30.06

Pages : 1 2 [3]

sixonetonoffun
12-19-2012, 07:30 AM
I put the Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 on my Axis 223 but am wishing I'd gone with something that has 1/8th increments. Its been a challenge to find the perfect zero but some would say its the cheap factory ammo I've been using. But for the money it won't miss anything the size of a baseball at 100 yards so I'm satisfied. But I'd be happier if that was the size of a golf ball! Actually if I let the barrel cool between shots it is pretty much there. But if cameraland still offers those deals on the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 next month I'll probably snatch up a few and see if they are any better. Put the Redfield aside for a rimfire at a later date.

Let us know what ya like best!

Eastman
12-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Wow! wish I could afford to "go nuts" and buy like that! lol. I have a small camo Prostaff on a my .22 plinker, and that scope is a little beauty!! I used to have a Buckmasters on a .223 LRPV a few years ago, and that rifle would put all shots in a Golf ball all day!! But it was a bit heavy. I don't know anything about the Redfield, but I did have a Vortex viper some time ago, and liked it. I traded it for something later, but can't remember what!?
The VX11 Leupold I have now was a unbelievably generous offer from the guy I got the Savage from. Like new, without a mark on it....$100!!!!! What a Guy!
I think your Prostaff will be great for the Savage 7mm.08 but, if you are like me, you'll be trying different scopes before long lol
Re the Vortex, you say "I'll probably snatch up a few " Man, are you lucky!! If you decide to throw any away, aim then in this direction! I hope someone has the info re the low rings. John

sixonetonoffun
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Not quite like it sounds "I'll probably snatch up a few " as I just bought 2 Axis .308's for my 13 yr old twins x-mas gifts. So am committed to buying some glass for them asap! They will probably punch paper more then hunt the Viper (http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper6-20x44) for $279 seems like a steal. I might just get them each a Viper and hold out for a Burris FF E1 with the illuminated reticle for myself. Thats what I originally wanted but could only afford the Redfield at the time. Took a better position in the mean time so I can revisit the idea. Never enough paychecks in a month is there!

Eastman
12-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Funny you should mention a illuminated reticle. I always wanted a illuminated dot....or reticle, but never got one. Sounds like your twins are in for some great shooting. Are they ok with .308 cal? (One of my favourites! )
No answers on the scope rings yet I see!!
John.

Roger SS
12-19-2012, 08:58 PM
The crazy insanity continues. Well, actually... I work hard and have been saving for a long time as well as doing my homework and realizing that long range shooting/hunting will be my thing.
OK....Just picked up my new Browning X-Bolt Medallion .30-06
I definitely need a camera cause words won't do this beauty any justice. Dammm.
You only live once guys.

Eastman
12-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey Roger, Can't wait to see a pic of that Browning!! So that's three 30.06's you got? You're getting spoiled! lol
Well, I hope it shoots as good as it looks...what you looking for next?
Still waiting to hear if anyone has any experience with low leupold std rings on a 114 american classic, with a Leupold VX11 4-12x40 A/O. John.

Roger SS
12-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey Roger, Can't wait to see a pic of that Browning!! So that's three 30.06's you got? You're getting spoiled! lol
Still waiting to hear if anyone has any experience with low leupold std rings on a 114 american classic, with a Leupold VX11 4-12x40 A/O. John.

Next will be the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter 7mm Rem Mag. That will be my final firearm purchase....ever.

No, seriously.... lol Really.

jerkin
12-19-2012, 10:40 PM

The leupold low std rings fit my 111 with a Bushnell Elite 4-16x40 A/O with a one piece base. I have a caliper and could measure the size of the bell if you need it. Even enough room for a set of Butler Creek lens covers. Depending on the length of the tube you might need the extended set to get your eye relief right though. I needed the extension when I had a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 on there, it had a pretty short tube.

Eastman
12-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I hope you aren't taking bets on that Roger!! If so, let me have the odds, and I'll re-morgage my house!
Hey Jerkin, I already have the scope on my rifle...see earlier thread for pic. I have approximately 3/8 inch space left, maybe a 1/2 inch at most. The eye relief is fine. I have a feeling the low rings might just fit...but not certain. Not sure if there is any difference between the 111 & the 114? Thanks for the info, and yes, measure the bell on your bushnell please.
John.

Roger SS
12-19-2012, 11:34 PM
I hope you aren't taking bets on that Roger!! If so, let me have the odds, and I'll re-morgage my house!
Hey Jerkin, I already have the scope on my rifle...see earlier thread for pic. I have approximately 3/8 inch space left, maybe a 1/2 inch at most. The eye relief is fine. I have a feeling the low rings might just fit...but not certain. Not sure if there is any difference between the 111 & the 114? Thanks for the info, and yes, measure the bell on your bushnell please.
John.

LOL. Mabe give Savage a call. They'd probably help clarify any differences between the models, if any.