PDA

View Full Version : 6mm BR feeding in a CF rifle.

Quackaddict
01-02-2010, 09:11 PM
After looking here and on the internet, I have pretty much concluded that this particular round sucks for reliable feeding, sounds like some get it to work while others just make em into single shots.

Does anyone have actual experience with a CF style rifle? I have heard about Stagger feeds but no one seems to have tried it in the CF mag system. I am liking most everything about the cartridge I am reading except for the feeding issue.

fatdaddy
01-02-2010, 11:16 PM
I have 2, 1 stevens that started as a 243. 1 model 12 that was a 308. Same mag box. Both are center feed and cycle 6BR fine. I have only shot either off the bench and more into saving brass than cycling the bolt rapidly. The only problem I have is with the extractor bearing. It needs to be larger and I have'nt changed them yet. Empty brass wants to fall out of extractor jaw and lay in front of bolt most of the time with both. lapua brass, 105 a-max. Bill

sharpshooter
01-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Savage makes 6 BR magazines.

groupshooter22
01-03-2010, 01:36 AM
I have 2, 1 stevens that started as a 243. 1 model 12 that was a 308. Same mag box. Both are center feed and cycle 6BR fine. I have only shot either off the bench and more into saving brass than cycling the bolt rapidly. The only problem I have is with the extractor bearing. It needs to be larger and I have'nt changed them yet. Empty brass wants to fall out of extractor jaw and lay in front of bolt most of the time with both. lapua brass, 105 a-max. Bill
fatdaddy give SSS a call and tell them you are shooting a 6BR they make a new extracter just for it and it works great. On mine I have it so the brass just comes out of the port and plops down onto the bench. P.S they might still have the bearings too.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Got two in 6 and 22 BR. Either the brass would pop off the bolt head half way out of the chamber or it would end up with a gouge in it from trying to feed into the chamber from the mag. Pulled the ejector rod and spring and single feed off a single shot follower.
Pick the fired case off the bolt head with you fingers. Not damaged and I don't have to chase it. ;)
There are a few mods that can be done to a Remington mag to help feeding but not sure if anyone has a cure for the Savage.

Quackaddict
01-03-2010, 02:08 PM
These are all good things to know, sharpshooter, I would imagine savage just shortened the mag box with the 6BR mags?

sharpshooter
01-04-2010, 02:36 AM
The 6 BR mags are actually .223 mags with the lips spread.