PDA

View Full Version : Short vs long action Question

Pages : 1 [2]

BoilerUP
12-09-2012, 10:21 AM
The extended baffle only works if you have a cartridge block in the mag.
Otherwise the bolt won't go back far enough to pick up a cartridge.

I would think it'd work on a staggerfeed long action built for short action cartridges (ie. shorter mag well opening)...definitely works great with CDI LA/308 mag DBM in a "regular" long action.

helotaxi
12-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Was your rifle originally a .308 family cartridge or a -06 family? Also is the thick baffle "hand" specific? I'm a lefty and so is my .243.

Nandy
12-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Use a 204/223 extended front bolt baffle and the bolt throw will only be 1/4" longer than a short action.

I also would like to see more information about his, specifically photos if possible. That is one thing It kills me about my LA in 30-06 and 7rem mag, that bolts gets really close to my face and although I have enough relieve to stay away from getting hit it is just too close for comfort.
I think this information is very pertinent to short vs long actions so I hope this is not considered a hijack, if it is please let me know and I will start my own thread...

BoilerUP
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I also would like to see more information about his, specifically photos if possible.

It only works if your long action has a short action magwell, be it from the factory or CDI.

If you put the extended bolt baffle on a "regular" long action, the bolt won't go back far enough to pick up a round from the magazine.

helotaxi
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
I also would like to see more information about his, specifically photos if possible. That is one thing It kills me about my LA in 30-06 and 7rem mag, that bolts gets really close to my face and although I have enough relieve to stay away from getting hit it is just too close for comfort.
I think this information is very pertinent to short vs long actions so I hope this is not considered a hijack, if it is please let me know and I will start my own thread...

Realize that we're talking about short action cartridges (.243, .260, .22-250, 7mm-08, .308 etc) on a long action rifle (.30-06, .300 WinMag length). If you're shooting a cartridge that requires a long action to load from the magazine in the first place, as it seems that you are, this won't work for you at all.

Nandy
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I have a LA and could at times use a SA cartridge in it. Actually, I got a 223 and will have a 22-250 barrel build next year and they will either reside in a LA or SA depending on needs. Thanks!

knight_dive
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Just learning about these rebuilds so please forgive me if I ask a question I should know the answer to. Wouldn't the maximize cartridge length be limited by the chamber in the barrel. Am considering a 260 remington build and wondered if you could ever have a cartridge length with 260 that a short action couldn't handle. Thanks

The chamber would be the ultimate limiting factor, but you could have a barrel with a custom cut chamber and throat for a specific bullet at a specific COAL if you really wanted to load them out that long. I doubt you would see much benefit from it however.