PDA

View Full Version : Pawn shops secrets...

Nandy
11-28-2012, 11:41 PM
So how do you people make those nice deals at pawn shops? Every used gun I see is priced like new and the cheapest one I seen was $80.00 from new... This stands true to almost everything I see in these shops, priced like new being used... I'm to the point that I am convinced that every pawnshop in the Charlotte area are just used to laundry money...
Any success stories?

bootsmcguire
11-29-2012, 12:02 AM
It seems to me that most of these shops prey on the stupid. I saw a Remingtion 770, with the package scope still on it for over $550 in one of these shops and it was used. Right across the street at Wally World you could pick up a new one in any caliber offered for under $350.

The one trick i will say I have found that usually helps is knowing more about the gun you are trying to buy than they do. If I go into a pawn shop and see a Savage in there that is altered in any way (whether it be a good or bad alteration) I point it out with a concerned tone in my voice and try to express a fear of the unknown, meaning if this was changed what else did the prior owner do that is not apparent? Being able to spot these things and point them out seems to be the best help in lowering the prices to be deals that I have found.

bsekf
11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Nandy, my experience too. Same with gun showes, the only bargins are in the parking lot.

stomp442
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Best thing I have found to do is point out their exaggerated price and point out you can get it new for the same price. Then pull out two crisp 100 dollar bills and say I will give you the 200 its worth or I'm walking. Worked for me twice so far, the last time the pawn shop owner actually let me get to the door before he stopped me.

82boy
11-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Pawn shops are not the greatest place to buy guns. Most of them dont do their homework, and go by on what someone has told them, or incorect information found in a book, to do there pricing. For example they may have a 12fv, look in the gun book, and see 12bvss, they think it is the same gun, and will price it with the higher price. You may want to bring in a sales catalog, from cabella's, Bass pro shops, gander mountain, dunhams, MC sporting good etc, and show them the retail price,try to educate them, and then offer them a fair price. Right now people are les likely to barter on gun prices, as gun sales are at a all time high, and there is someone that is willing to pay big money. If you want cheap guns the best thing to do is build a time machine, and trael back about 20 years.

Nandy
11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
It just strikes me odd to see this "norm". I know I will have to haggle as it seems it would be the best way.

LHitchcox
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
I simply ask them what is their lowest out the door price. Usually they will talk. If it is too high, I simply walk out.

fgw_in_fla
11-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Stomp's method works around here - (central Florida / Space Coast) - and 82 is right about most of them don't have a clue about what they're selling. But, one thing is certain. If you buy from the same guy on a regular basis, he'll work with you. Let's face it, he's in business to make money. Pawn shops make money in spite of themselves. He knows he only gave some "down on his luck sucker" 5o bucks for that rifle you're about to pay 200 for. If you connect with one that sees you come in as a regular buyer, they'll work with you. At least that's been my experience.
A pawn shop in Merrit Island I frequent does me righteous whenever I stop in, which is 2 to 3 times a month. He's told me to come in on the 1st. That's when they come out of "pawn" & go up for "sale". If the "pawner" doesn't make his payment, guys like me buy it for a pretty good discount. My 25.06 was brand new when I picked it up from a pawn shop.
I like buying from pawn shops. I especially like to haggle about price. It gives us old guys something to do beside stay home & drive the 'ol lady crazy.
Stay well,
Frank in Fla

Blue Avenger
11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
lots of them use gunbroker for pricing, Make sure to point out the difference between selling and asking price!

thejetman
12-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Both my savages are pawn shop finds. Traded a metal detector straight up for my 111 and paid 650 for my model 12. Both had less then a box of ammo through them. It all depends on the dealer I think. The 111 he guy behind the counter had no idea about it. Same as the model 12. Scored on both

wbm
12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I am convinced that every pawnshop in the Charlotte area are just used to laundry money...
Any success stories? Yep. In Boone NC. There is a shop, don't recall the name, on 321 on the west side of town that had used Savages and Stevens at good prices.

teebirdhyzer
12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
my father-in-law owns a pawn shop and has for many, many years. Just keep in mind that they usually ask around double what they paid or have in the item. Pawn brokers have to pay outrageous tax amounts to all kinds of agencies, so they do try and make alot on each item. Don't be afraid to haggle or deal with them, and offer them what you think it's worth. You won't hurt their feelings, and if you affend them, then they aren't a good pawnbroker. I usually offer them 75percent or so of what they are asking, if they don't go for that just ask them what their bottom dollar out the door price is. Some good deals in pawn shops....just don't pay what's on the sticker if you are looking for one.

LabRat2k3
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
They will all gladly let you pay the "sticker price" if you are foolish enough to, but most are very flexible and will accept a reasonable offer. I enjoy pawn shopping and have bought all kinds of cool things from them.

Clint KY
12-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Here in West Kentucky Pawn Shops charge new prices for used (sometimes VERY used) guns. And they get what they ask. I found a Ruger Mark I in NRA Fair shape for $290 - I explained that a new Mark III was less than that at Gander Mountain 30 miles away. Snotty answer was "Then go an buy it." When I went back in a few days later it was gone. Unless it comes from an individual I don't bother with used guns anymore.

jaysouth
12-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Pawn shops are used to dealing with stupid people. They can put a stupid price on a gun and someone will eventually come along and pay that price.