PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: Savage 220 action torque specs

Jm59
11-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi guys,

I just bought a 220 slug gun and I noticed that the action screws were slightly loose. I have a fat wrench and from what I understand the torque specs should be 30-35 in-lb's? If this is correct, the next question has to do with the sequence of using the wrench. There are three screws, front(muzzle end), middle and rear. I read that you do the front first and then the rear screw second. I heard that the middle screw should be snug but less than the front and rear? Does this sound right?

Any help is appreciated!

Jm59
11-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Actually I have to correct myself, the middle screw is the rear action screw and the screw that I originally referred to as the rear is the trigger guard screw. I torgued all three to 30in-lbs starting from the front to the rear action screw, then finally to the trigger guard screw.

30in-lbs may be a little more than what I consider to be hand tight but I think it will be okay. BTW, these screws were really loose when I first checked. Whether or not a torque qrench is really neede for this, who knows, probably not.

Westcliffe01
11-27-2012, 08:03 PM
The rear one is just a "wood" screw, don't overdo it ! Yes, my action screws were loose too and I got really lousy groups initially. I don't have one of the screwdriver torque wrenches, but I tightened my action screws good and tight, after loosening them and making sure the recoil lug was seated.

Jm59
11-27-2012, 08:08 PM
When you say rear one, you mean the third one furthest back, the trigger guard screw, correct?

Westcliffe01
11-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Yes. Just unscrew it and you will see.

Jm59
11-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks