PDA

View Full Version : .260 shooters.......I'm In need of a virgin loaded .260 round

teebirdhyzer
11-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey .260 shooters. I am in need of a virgin loaded .260 round (never fired brass) to fire in a new rifle. Brass or bullet type makes no difference. I have just ordered a .260 package rifle that I am going to remove the barrel and put it on another rifle, but would like to fire a round in it first to get a properly fireformed piece of brass for headspacing and die setting purposes. I will gladly pay a reasonable price plus shipping if anyone can help a fellow Savage brother out.

FW Conch
11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Can't you get hold of a 260 round or components from your location ? Your going to need to sooner or later ??? .... Jim

teebirdhyzer
11-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Can't you get hold of a 260 round or components from your location ? Your going to need to sooner or later ??? .... Jim

Yes, I have access to whatever components I need....locally or through the power of the internet. I also have .260 dies, a go gauge, and hundreds of 6.5 caliber bullets in various weights, as well as 7mm-08 and .243 brass that I can neck up or down to load .260 rounds. I am just looking for an unfired, already loaded .260 round (either factory or handloaded) to shoot in the chamber of the new factory rifle before I remove the barrel. I am looking for someone to let me buy one round so I don't have to waste money on a box of ammo that I may or may not ever shoot.

FW Conch
11-29-2012, 09:56 PM
"tee", I like this site because I learn a lot from it. It seems to me that your go gauge would be enough, and when you install a barrel on another action, the chamber could change slightly anyway. But, if you want a "fire formed" 260 case you can shoot a 243 in it at a good back stop from short range, because in doing this, there is no accuracy. You would then have a "fire formed" 260, but if you feel it is not perfectly formed, you could load a 6.5 and fire it again and you would have it. I have done this shooting a 308 in my 358 Win. and it was a perfect form the first time. I have also formed with just powder and prime with tissue paper stuffed in the case neck, to save a bullet, and this works well also. If I don't have a go gauge, I keep "fire formed" cases around to set head space when I switch barrels, and have never had a problem. I even have a few factory rounds, to make sure they chamber, and they always have. I hope I have understood your intentions, and best of luck to you and good shooting :) .... Jim