PDA

View Full Version : is the 338 winmag a large shank?

Toyoda
11-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Looking at the 111 trophy hunter xp, is the 338 mag a large shank action.

How is the 338? Im not so interested in the caliber, just want a large shank action if I ever need one for a future build and they are out of the 7mag/300mag.

Cycler
11-27-2012, 09:13 PM
No, the factory .338 Win mags are on small shank actions. The WSM series and .338 Lapua are on large shank actions due to their extra fat cases.

bootsmcguire
11-27-2012, 11:56 PM
to get a long action in Large shank i think you will have to find a 338LM or one of the RUM calibers. The 7RM, 300WM, 338WM are all on Small shanks. Really most calibers including WSMs and RUMs can be built on Small Shanks. 338LM is the one caliber that i know can't be built on a Small Shank.

efm77
11-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Not anymore. The new 375 Ruger models are large shank long actions. I just got confirmation today and place an order for one.

bootsmcguire
12-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Not anymore. The new 375 Ruger models are large shank long actions. I just got confirmation today and place an order for one.

Good to know, thanks for posting this up. Are they the regular length magazine or the longer RUM/H&H length?

stangfish
12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
It was my understanding that while having your long action trued you could easily have the action thtraded for a large shank barrel. It is as simple as getting it indicated in and picking up the threads. seting the pitch on 20 and go to cutting until it is 1 1/8-20. There are mods to the root of the thread i'm sure for strength but I am no expert.

efm77
12-02-2012, 11:06 AM
You are correct stangfish. I have two long actions that I had trued and at the same time opened up to the large shank. It's pretty easy for a gunsmith to do it while they have it in the lathe blueprinting it. I would recommend Jim See at Centershot Rifles in Wisconsin. He did both of mine and they are fantastic!

bootsmcguire, I don't know about the mag length. I didn't think to ask them that. I would imagine it's probably the standard length since the Ruger cartridge is designed to fit a 30-06 length action. I'm not sure though. I can let you know when I get it.

handirifle
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Don't you sacrifice a bit of strength when you open up a previously small shank receiver?

Are the large shank receivers larger in OD?

efm77
12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Not really IMO. Where the receiver is you're removing steel from one place and adding it back in another. Some people wonder about the temper of the receiver being compromised. I don't believe that. If you ever look at one of the photos of how they're tempered. They're put in an induction heater which gets them cherry red all the way through. So they're hardened all the way through which means if you take some out to re-thread them, you're not compromising the temper of the action. And no, the large shank receivers are not bigger than the small shanks. They're just bored out more on the front ring. I've had two done and haven't had a bit of trouble with them. In fact they've performed great. There are other folks out there who have had them done the way I did too. 358Hammer comes to mind. He's the one that pointed me to Jim See.