PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a build

RyanG
11-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Good morning all. I am pretty new here and would sure like a bit of help. I hope that this is the place to post these questions.

A friend and I are going to start a build here shortly. We have an older Stevens action, I dont have it here in front of me, but I believe that it is a 110. Its a long action 270 without the accutrigger and I believe that it has a flat top on the action, non centerfeed, with the action screews spaced at about 5.0 something... as I said I dont have the rifle here with me this morning. We are going to put a Bell and Carlson Classic Checkered Stock on it. My questions are other than a barrelnut wrench and a set of gauges both go and no go what will I need? Will I need an action wrench? We have decided on caliber 6.5 284 but not a brand of barrel. Thinking about a Shaw since this is our first build but I have 2 Shilens and love them.

You can tell me if I am way out of my league. I can take it.... I hope that I gave you enough info at this time. Any help you can give will be HUGE.

Thanks!

I spent most of last night reading here so I am a bit more prepared than I was. Also know that we will be ordering the barrel from NorthLand Shooters Supply. I didnt know about them until last night so that is cool. I ordered both my Shilens from them and looks like I paid more than I needed too....

Again thanks much

Ryan

Macrosill
11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Ryan,
You will need the action wrench in addition to the barrel nut wrench and gauges. Jim Briggs from NSS will have everything you need except the gauges. Get those from Midway.

243LPR
11-27-2012, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't go withe Shaw unless you can find one "in stock" that you like.I ordered one back in May and still don't know when it will arrive,no support from them either. NSS seems to have a good inventory.

RyanG
11-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Thank you guys.... After 2 days of reading just about everything I can get my hands on.... we are going to go with a Shilen. I also found an older model 110 with a flat top long action in 243 for 200 bucks. It looks almost brand new. I am going to build it into a 260 Remington. This is going to be so fun! Again thank you! I think??? Can see this Savage build thing could get addictive! I do have to say that I love the way those Shaw barrels look tho!