PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 7mm Rem mag build

KTP
11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Savage masters,
I've read until I've been confused, then thought I had a handle, now I'm just plain looking for advice from my brothers.
I'm going to build a 7mm Rem mag on a long action. What I keep getting tied in a knot over is Large shank vs. small shank receivers.
Can I build a 7mm Rem mag as I would any other rifle or do I need to find a large shank receiver? Also, if I do not need a large shank receiver, will any standard receiver except the .540 bolt face needed for the 7 mag? I'm sure there are threads on this topic but I couldnt find them.
Thanks
Put

Nandy
11-26-2012, 09:58 PM
The standard shank is the small shank. You can build your rifle on either but it is not necessary to have a large shank for a 7mm reg mag. I have 7mm reg mag built on the standard shank. I know the receiver with the standard shank will take the magnum bolt face and I can figure a reason where the large shank would not take that magnum bolt since that is the reason they built a large shank, for magnum calibers...

KTP
11-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Guys,
Anyone else have any wisdom they could offer up? Need to hear from you

Cycler
11-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Savage builds all of their factory 7 mm Rem Mags on the small shank action. The large shank was designed for the very fat cases of the WSM series and is used on the .338 Lapua also. For your build you can use either.

Bossman
11-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Guys,
Anyone else have any wisdom they could offer up? Need to hear from you

LR, The standard magnum calibers were- are built on the standard (small) shank actions. Get the coeerct bolt head and put it together. Also, mag box is different. The short mags and some ultra mags have the large shank set-up.