PDA

View Full Version : Dednutz or Leupold/Burris Signature Zee

Doodad
01-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Looking at new mounts/rings for a SA Stevens and considering these two options

1. Leupold std 1 piece steel base with Burris Signature Zee Rings
2. Dednutz base/ring combination

Both have advantages (Leupold/Burris-MOA offsets...Dednutz-less mechanical complexity) and Im flip-floping between the two. Probably over thinking this but does anyone using offer any suggestions that would convince me that one is actually better than the other. Is this one of those "You cant go wrong with either one" deals?

Thanks
Dan

trappst
01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
The only thing to keep in mind with the Deadnutz mount is scope length. If your scope of choice is very short you may not have any room to move the scope forward/back. Not as big of an issue on a short action but it's something to keep in mind.

I personally like the weaver grand slam bases and Sig zee rings

savageboy
01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Never tried the Deadnutz, I love the concept- I have a set of Talley lightweight ring/ base combo set on my new .250 Sav. . So I like the idea, I have just had a lot of success over many years wtih the Zee rings

dcloco
01-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Personally, I would go with the EGW one piece 20 moa base (regardless of your caliber or initial shooting intentions) and the Burris Sig Z rings.

The Weaver/Pica mount allows you to move the scope fore/aft and also allows for short body scopes as Trappst pointed out.

Doodad
01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
After further review, was told I cannot get the leupold/burris combo. Will take the EGW suggestion (all reviews are positive). Since this is a rather tall base, still wondering if I need med or high Zee rings? What did you use?? Will be mounting a 50mm obj scope an want it to be as close as possible and still be able to use Butler Creek flip up covers.

Doodad
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Made some calls and this is what I found:

EGW 20moa base height .450
Burris Zee rings med .255
total .705

My current set-up measures right at .750 and I have approx .250 clearance available. I guess it will be med unless I missed something

tammons
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
The setup I like is a pict base, like egw or farrel with honed burris extreme rings.

Lefty Savage
01-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I have 2 Denutz bases on my hunting rifles and I am really satisfied with them, very well made. No lapping required. They are mounted on a model 11 .308 and my Marlin 30-30. I haven't decided whether or not to use one on my 10FLP tactical rifle or go with Picatinny.

I friend of mine just special ordered a 30mm high mount with 20MOA built in from Dednutz for his 10FP. Came to about $145 but still cheaper than pic rail and rings.

I'm gonna wait til I see his before I decide what to do with mine.

Hoot
01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Made some calls and this is what I found:

EGW 20moa base height .450
Burris Zee rings med .255
total .705

My current set-up measures right at .750 and I have approx .250 clearance available. I guess it will be med unless I missed something

IMHO, get the Signature variation of Zee rings. They're worth the extra cost over regular Zee rings. No lapping necessary.
Hoot

~Ace~
01-07-2010, 09:46 PM
If you want ROCK Solid, Sexy and great quality, get the Dednutz... After trying one I have put them on All my bolt guns Except a couple that already had Warne tactical bases. I hunt Hard and the Dednutz have held my scopes Tight when other systems have FAILED... Can't go wrong. HERE (http://www.tnpredators.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=73.html) is a review I wrote on them.

Doodad
01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Tried to read your review and got this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: detectbot() in /home/pitfowln/public_html/tnpredators/includes/data/ua.inc on line 136

~Ace~
01-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Odd, works for me with both FF and IE. Maybe the Server caught a chill ;D You know, with all this Global Warming.

Blue Avenger
01-09-2010, 01:53 PM
worked for me also.

Dr. Vette
01-14-2010, 06:56 PM
After further review, was told I cannot get the leupold/burris combo.

You'd have to go with the non-Zee Burris Signature rings if you wanted to use the one piece Leupold base (dovetail front/windage screw rear).
Or, a one piece picatinny or Weaver-style base with the Zee Signature rings.