PDA

View Full Version : 270wsm

greyowl
01-02-2010, 11:01 AM
This is more cartridge than I need, but a local shop has had a left hand, ss synthetic savage in the rack for about 2 years now. The price is starting to drop and catch my inerest. I'd like a long range rifle, though I don't need one. What's some opinions on the 270wsm from those that have them? I've had 270,308,444 and 45-70 rifles for what I'd consider powerful rifles. How does the recoil compare to these with the 270wsm? Is the effective range really much more than the old standard 270?

Dinosdeuce
01-02-2010, 04:33 PM
greyowl,

I do not own a 270wsm but I own a 7mmwsm and a 300wsm. Before buying I did as much research as possible. Of the 3 major wsm's the 270 is the only one that gives a slight increase in ballistics, but it's not earth shattering. You did not mention what you consider long range. I shoot mine out to 600yds at steel. Obvioulsy I do not shoot at game that far, but I practice that far and they perform well. The reason I got the wsm's is because of a short action. If they have a good price buy it I think you will like it. I doubt you will notice any difference in recoil between a 270 and a 270wsm. Also I would not buy a wsm unless you reload. I personally feel that is the only way to fully enjoy a wsm. Just my opinions.

Good luck

bigngreen
01-02-2010, 07:42 PM
The 270 WSM is an improvement over the 270 win, I shoot mine for long range targets, gongs and game. The 140 Berger is real nice in it and did a great job on the elk I shot. I'm loading the 110 TTSX just over 3700fps for coyotes and it is real zippy.
I shoot mine out to 1000yrds on targets and gongs and find it real good, I am set up for hunting longer ranges and it works real,real well, the Berger and Accubonds stay fast enough to function well out to 800yrds.
But like others said, you have to reload to let it really shine.

jwbagm
01-02-2010, 08:24 PM
i have a 27o and 300 wsm and like them alot. way over kill for whitetail in virginia but i really like the calibers and just bought a second 300 wsm that i might convert into 7mm wsm.
i shoot SST bullets thru mine and im very happy

hitman49
01-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Haven't done a great deal of long range shooting with mine but was able to take it to Montana with me this year. We messed around shooting rocks on a hill that was about 500 years and I never had any problems hitting what I was aiming at. I was then able to take a Mule Deer at 435 yards with it, was able to knock it down with the first shot. I didn't have enough time to work up loads before I went so I was just shooting factory loads. I was still very impressed with it and it will only get better when I have the time to work up good loads.

xman77777
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I shoot a 270WSM and love it on SC whitetails. Some of the shots can get pretty long on gas and power lines, and I feel that maybe being somewhat overgunned is not a bad thing. Mine really likes 130 Ballistic Tips on top of a stout load of 4350 with CCI250s. I have read that the Ballistic tip is not reliable at high velocitys, but I have never witnessed this myself. Plus 1 on reloading for this cartridge, although factory ammo is not hard to find, it can be pretty pricey!

Rod