PDA

View Full Version : Night hunting set ups

Pages : 1 [2]

rld_55
01-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I use the xlr-250 in green or red. I seem to see farther and better with the green. I mount them on top of Nikon scopes all in the 4-16 power ranges. I like to use my sunshade to cut down the glare. As far as distance you can see 250 yards but I have never got a shot over 75 yards with one. The battery life is probably about 3 hours continuous from full charge. Would I buy another you bet. But I think there are lights that work just as we'll that cost less.

shovelheadave
01-12-2013, 01:25 PM
I have three set ups, depending on where I'm hunting, all are red Kill Lights. I live in Special Regs area, it's rimfile and shotgun only here. When I get about an hour away I get into centerfile rifle.

On the rifles I have XLR250s mounted with Bookdock's soft covers. Line the end with a slice from a caulk tube and you're all set. I've found than they seem to work best at night around 4-5x on the scope.

I have a 250 on my shotgun too but, don't use it, it's a little strong for upclose shotgun action. When I pick up eyes coming in I'll tip the XLR100 on my hat a little to the right (I'm left handed) and that's plenty of light for the RedDot.

5spd
01-21-2013, 10:41 PM
5spd can you take photos of your set up at a target o known distance and upload pics? I'm intrigued about night vision only problem with it I can tell is I wear glasses and you have to put it to your eye if you can explain a little about your night vision set up cost and efficiency I'd appreciate it. West have you used white led lights on predators before? Just wondering I have taken the red filter off my 28volt coon light and it's very bright, in fact coons in trees won't look at it not saying a hungry cold dog wouldn't might be worth a try to take filters off
I wear glasses and dont have an issue using a pals D740 NV scope.
I also use a flir s32, but I do not wear glasses using that since I need to get it closer. Most night times I do not wear my glasses, but have them with me.
I do not have a way to take pics with the NV outfit.
I only use sub zero lights in Green only. I hate the red ones and can see much more w/the green units as well as the animal.
Flir ps32 thermals run $2600 +/-
Good dedicated 3rd gen scope runs $4k+
Sub zero ND50 designators run $400 +/-

missed
02-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Subscribed, need something in the lighting department soon, pigs must die.

quickkillaught6
02-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Wicked 400 kill lights IMHO best light hands down

choclabs
02-16-2013, 09:10 AM
I have a Red LED light from One Stop Throw Shop on the way. He makes them in RED, White and Green. Green seems t obe what most hog hunters are in favor of since it allows for better illumination of dark bodied hogs. The OSTS has for the past 3 years been the manufacturer of the brightest LED throw light avaialble in the world. The DEFT-X which he sells threw OMG Lumens.

http://www.onestopthrowshop.com/

I also have the mounts bought from Wicked Huntinig Lights and a remote pigtail switch. His red light is an aspheric style which would go good on a scope mount for a kill light as the beam is some what contained and focused. I beleive that this Red light will prove out to be the farthest throw Red light on the market and allow me positive animal ID at farther distance. Another product which seems to have good potential for a handheld spot light is the Coyote Light http://www.coyotelight.com/ It is a bit pricey and only comes in Red.

Seeking_Coyotes
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
I have about ten different lights and the best by far for everything is a Carnivore 5 @ ewcalls.com

choclabs
03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Is that a reflector light design or an aspheric lens light design?

Thanks for the information.