PDA

View Full Version : Switch barrel .308/.300wsm

mrslippery
11-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Looking for some input from some of you on a build I may be doing for a friend of mine. He's got the bug for a rifle like my 10BA, but would like to have the option of going long range with a .300wm type cartridge. I've come up with a idea of a switch barrel set-up, but would like to hear from any of you that may have done the same thing or something similar before ordering anything. Here it goes, Savage large shank action, XLR chassis, Accurate mag bottom metal kit in .308 and .300wsm, 2 aftermarket barrels, one in .308 the other in .300wsm both 1 in 10", bolt heads in each cartridge. Other than a brake for the .300wsm barrel, head space gauges, and a quality trigger what am I over looking and what issues will I encounter that I'm not aware of. I went with a 10BA and the 110 FCP in .300wm, but I'm guessing this switch barrel set-up could be done for less cost of the two stock rifles like I did, pending barrel selection cost. So if any of you see something I'm over looking please advise, regards Slip.

yorketransport
11-25-2012, 01:55 PM
My only thought on this is your stock. The XLR chassis is a nice setup, but taking the gun in and out of there is a pain. It would make swapping barrels a bit more of a project.

You may also want to consider separate bolts. That way you don't need to swap bolt heads every time you change barrels.

Andrew

kschilling
11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Did a project for a Troop of mine. He has a BAS .308 and wasn't happy. Brought it to the house and said.... Make is better..... Make it 6.5....... Mounted a 6.5x47 Lapua as the large caliber and built a switch barrel with a .223 (1-7 twist). Used a separate bolt for the .223..... The darn thing is awesome!!!!!!!!

Ken

mrslippery
11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Andrew, thanks for the input. He may just want to do the extra bolt idea thanks. What's the issue getting the barreled action out of the XLR?

Ken, that's the basic idea where thinking of. I find my 10BA does everything I need to do out to 600 yards, beyond that I've got others to fill the void, 6.5x47, 6.5x284,and the 300 wm. Not that the BA can't perform beyond that, I just haven't switched the scope rail yet. My friend wishes to have the economy of the 308, and also have a stick available for our planned spring trip to Thunder Valley Precision to try the 1760 range. Regards. Slip.

yorketransport
11-25-2012, 09:11 PM
It's not a huge project, but you need to take off the forend. To do that you need to remove 6 screws which clamp the forend on there. It only take a couple minutes but it's a lot slower than just taking out 2 screws on a standard stock.

Andrew

Opus Dei
11-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Andrew, thanks for the input. He may just want to do the extra bolt idea thanks. What's the issue getting the barreled action out of the XLR? There's that shroud around the barrel, I'm guessing. I opted for a McRee simply because the barreled action dropped in.

I did basically what you're intending. Bought a 10 in .243, have a 7 WSM barrel looong in waiting for. Even have a .300 RUM barrel for a single-shot. I did the two bolt assemblies, also. The .243 has a SSS handle since the knob and barrel are smooth. I have a Stockade handle on the magnum bolt since there'll be knurled thread protectors and knurled bolt knob.

kschilling
11-25-2012, 09:53 PM
How are you intending to setup the switch.... are you fixing the nut to the barrel or are you re-head spacing each time?

Ken

mrslippery
11-25-2012, 11:41 PM
re-head space each time, which I don't find it to be a big issue. The largest concern is the magazine width between .308 and .300wsm. The XLR looks (based on visuals from there site) as the chassis does not have removable bottom metal. I'll be calling them within the next couple of days, if a dedicated magazine width is the way it has to be, then the chassis will be for .308, .300wsm for single shot. I was hoping to use something like a bottom metal kit for both rounds like something from Accurate Mag. Just left my friends house, looks like this project is a go, so time for calls to the manufactures to iron out any issues. Looks like the action will be a 11 large shank stainless that was a .300wsm, it has a 7 twist .223 on it now which means this could have a final configuration of .223, .308 and .300wsm. Slip.

Opus Dei
11-26-2012, 06:43 AM
I might've been missing something from the first post, but I was wondering why the Accurate Mag BM was needed with an XLR. They're already milled for the default AI magazines, no? I have Alpha type 1 (.308) and type 2 (WSM) for the McRee/model 10. I had to relieve a little magwell material to get them to insert easier. They still won't drop free, but with the longer length mags it's easy to grasp and pull. Plus, the Alpha mags are a little more accomodating longer OAL.

kschilling
11-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Slip.... That sounds like a great project..... and I like the final configuration. To do away with having to headspace each time, I would suggest you fix the bolt in place for each barrel. I've done them both ways and it's much easier fixing the nut. I've got a rig that allows me to change my barrels on my tailgate. I shoot one in Open F Class and one in F T/R.

Ken

Macrosill
11-27-2012, 09:13 AM
I am a bit confused. I am assuming the OP is utilizing a long action for this project but refers to the .308 and .300wsm. Aren't both of those short action calibers? Later in the post there is a reference to .300wm which is a long action caliber?

I spoke to someone at Accurate Mag yesterday. I was inquiring about feeding a .308 out of a long action mag as I have a 110 chambered in 308. He said he did not know if it would work. Something about the feed lips releasing the round too early. Maybe I am missing something. Does anyone know for sure if the .308 will feed properly from a long action mag?

MrSlippery, let us know what you find out from Accurate Mag.

edit: The more I read the post the more I understand what the OP is explaining. Using a short action in .308 and .300wsm instead of 2 different rifles, 1 in .308 and 1 in .300wm. I get it now.

mrslippery
11-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Having no knowledge of the XLR chassis I had concerns about magazine width between the different cartridges, after contacting the manufacturers of the XLR there's no issue. I'm waiting at the moment on a possible deal on a large shank stainless action.
kschilling, this will be set up to head space by nut removal, speed in change over is not a goal at the moment. This will be a documented build for references in the future. This should be a fun build, where looking forward to it

tyler.woodard04
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
I have a xlr. Its great but i would be worried about screwing uo the threaded holes for the hand guard clamp if swaping offen