PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Anyone have help on disassembling/assembling a 99 rotary magizine?

papawplinks
11-24-2012, 01:00 AM
I have a 1914 model 1899H (HP22 cal), as well as a Remington 550-1, that I inherited from my mother, and I'm looking for some advice. Neither gun had been touched in 30 years. I recently completely disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled the Remington. (It was my first teardown, but I did lots of reaserch, bought the appropriate tools, and to my amazement :o the rifle now works great.) I want to do the same for this great old Savage rifle but in doing some research, I've heard that the rotary magazine is a pain to reassemble. (The same was said about the sear spring case on the Remington, but I finally talked to a couple of guys who had successfully dealt with it, and (thanks to those two guys) it was fairly easy.) I was hoping to get some good advice (or know-how) on wheather I should break down the magazine. The Remington was chocked full of gunk, And I'm assuming the Savage will be as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jonbearman
01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
I would wash it outside in a good solvent and dont take it apart.I know how to do it,but it is a pain in the ass.I use hoppe's or carb cleaner and scrub what you can.Then wash it off with brakleen. Then a really almost barely oiled to make it operate smoothly.Use gun oil as it is made to not gum up when it is cold outside.

Mad Dog
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Mostly 90% of the internals on an 1899 Savage can be cleaned without even dissasembling them, the rotor is about the only thing you would have to actually take out and to take it out you have to disassemble the gun so if the rotor is fine I'd just clean the rest and leave the rotor be.

BillPa
01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Mostly 90% of the internals on an 1899 Savage can be cleaned without even dissasembling them, the rotor is about the only thing you would have to actually take out and to take it out you have to disassemble the gun so if the rotor is fine I'd just clean the rest and leave the rotor be.

The retired 'smith I talked to before wading into the 99 swamp said the same thing. Remove the stock and 90% of the parts are accessible for service and cleaning. All I found other than 100 years of crud was one loose screw.

While we're on the subject, what can you tell me about the safety on my B? Its sloppy loose. If I have the action open it will move to the safe position just tipping the rifle downward. It stays put when engaged, but has a mind of it's own otherwise. I have to make sure its in the fire position every time I close the action.

I didn't dig into it too deep and none of the prints I have show any real detail. Is there something I'm or its missing?

Bill

Mad Dog
01-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Bill, the pin that the safety is attached to is split on the backside, sometimes if it is compressed for so long it just stays like that. If you ever pull it out just stick a tiny screwdriver inbetween it again spreading it out a bit, this is where it gets it's friction from.

BillPa
01-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Bill, the pin that the safety is attached to is split on the backside, sometimes if it is compressed for so long it just stays like that. If you ever pull it out just stick a tiny screwdriver inbetween it again spreading it out a bit, this is where it gets it's friction from.

THANK - YA!!!!!
I got a project for tomorrow!!

I don't know if we'll ever cross paths, but if we do all the beer is on me. Heck, I might even toss a greasy pizza in on the deal!

Bill

Mad Dog
01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Don't you dare scratch that rifle!

BillPa
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Don't you dare scratch that rifle!

The safety is now in working order and I was very careful not to scratch it using the air chisel, the 5# ball peen hammer or the big 'ol screwdriver!

Thanks Much Some more!

Bill

Mad Dog
01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
What are we fixing on it next week Bill?

BillPa
01-05-2013, 09:21 PM
What are we fixing on it next week Bill?

Don't know. Let me check the "Yes dear" list!!!!

papawplinks
02-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help. I've been gone and so haven't checked back for a while. I did break my rifle down completely (including the rotary magazine.) It was so gunked up (when I started breaking it down) I felt like it really needed it. And it went really well. Since I couldn't find much info on disassembling the magazine assembly itself, I thought I would at least write down how I did it. Hopefully it will help someone else that has to take one apart. It was actually much easier than I anticipated. The only hard part was getting the magazine assembly back into the gun by myself, since it has tension on it. (I will definitely get another set of hands to help with that part if I ever do it again.) And even that part isn't hard to do (just hard to do by yourself.) But just so you know, the magazine itself was very easy to take apart and put back together. The one on my rifle only consists of a spindle, a spring, the brass mag itself, and the end cap that holds it together. When reassembling it, the spring goes over the spindle then slides into the brass mag. There is small hole inside the mag that the end of the spring has to slide into. The other end of the spring slides inside the hole in the end cap. Then you just put the nut on, and tighten it up. That's it! I'm gonna try to upload a couple of photos that should make all my babble a little more clear. :) Thanks again everyone, and happy Savage shooting!