PDA

View Full Version : Finishing my SSS laminate stock.

Mel12
11-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Hey guys i'm expecting my new rifle from Sharp shooter supply within the next week. Kicker is that I have to finish the stock myself. Been doing lots of research youtube, ect. Pretty much thinking rubbing on tru oil would be the best option. Not sure how many coats I will need i'm assuming lots. I want a finish that looks like glass. Am I barking up the right tree here? Any advice will be appreaciated greatly. Mainly I want to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks in advance.

82boy
11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
I want a finish that looks like glass. Am I barking up the right tree here?

If this is truy what you want, then Automotive clear coat is the best option.

Delaware_Ken
11-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Good Morning,

I took my stock to a local body shop and had auto clear coat applied to my SSS stock. The first question they asked me was if I was in a hurry to get it back. I said no, so what they did was to give it a coat of finish after each paint job that they had. Since most of the new auto finishes have clear coat applied, I got the stock back in a week, and it turned out great. I checked out two or three shops before I got a $50.00 price quote, and I jumped all over it. It wasn't much more than what a can of spray clear coat would have cost me, and I'm sure it turned out a lot better than what I could have done.

Ken

pdog06
11-24-2012, 06:43 AM
tru-oil will not give you a "glass" finish. Like Pat said, you will want to have it sprayed with auto clear.

jpdown
11-24-2012, 11:02 AM
As already metioned, Tru-Oil will not give you the glass-like appearance of automotive clear coat. It does give you a satin finish that that you can easily repair after you nick or scratch the wood with use. I've found sanding in (dirty sanding) Tru-Oil is the best way to fill all the wood pores and build up to a "glass smooth" satin finish. It takes many coats, but your growing satisfaction with the results is well worth the effort.

Note: this method will bring out or darken the grain/pores in lamimated layers as you fill them with the wood dust/Tru-Oil mixture. If you want the wood to stay bright and true to color, then spraying on clear coat is the best way.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Get it done in Automotive Clear Coat and be done with it. Tough as nails. And for $50.00, you can't go wrong.

Mel12
11-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll check around and see what I can come up with.

lal357
11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
thanks also i'm almost ready for my final coat of paint on my stock