PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FP accuracy issues!

biggun
01-01-2010, 09:53 PM
This week I decided to cut 4 in. off.So cut her down to 20 in. recrowned with a recessed crown like factory.Took her to the range today to re site.I shoot Sierra 55 gr. hp and 50 or 55 gr. spitzers.It has always shot each around half inch.Shot the hp's first with a four shot group under a half.Then with the spitzerz the first shot was right were it should be but when I shot the second time I could'nt see it.I shot 2 more times and still nothing.I have a pond in the back ground and noticed the bullets did'nt even hit the water.Shot again and the bullet hit the water probably 3 foot above the target.Thought for sure it whould have to be some screws loose or the scope was fried.Put the hp's back in it and 4 shots right above the dot less than a half inch.I have been around guns and have rolled my own loads for 25 yrs. but this has me confussed.Any thoughts. ???

MZ5
01-01-2010, 09:58 PM
My thought is: Believe it or not, you have a different gun now, so it shouldn't be surprising that your 'new' gun would like different things than your 'old' one. So, shoot the HPs and be happy!

1Shot
01-01-2010, 10:04 PM
My thought is: Believe it or not, you have a different gun now, so it shouldn't be surprising that your 'new' gun would like different things than your 'old' one...

...Yupper... ;)

biggun
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I understand that,But I would'nt think any bullet whould miss a 3 foot square target at a hundred yards shooting at the center.Is there any chance it could be the square recessed crown.I started to put a 11 degree on it but went back similar to factory.I would'nt think this would matter but I just don't see how it can shoot the spitzers so bad.

MZ5
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, sure (no offense meant here). It's super-easy to mess up the crown just a touch, which can lead to all kinds of badness if left uncorrected. On the other hand, I've seen a guy take what amounts to an easy-out (that's not what it was, but it reminds me of one) and 're-crown' a barrel with excellent results. It's even possible (not claiming I think this is the issue) that you've cut back right into a portion of the barrel where the rifling or bore is messed up. Different impacts on different bullets.

oldguy
01-02-2010, 05:35 PM
that you've cut back right into a portion of the barrel where the rifling or bore is messed up.

That would be my guess also.

biggun
01-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Shot the 55 hp's again today,cloverleaf less than a 1/2 inch.Still don't understand why the spitzers are so bad.I would think if it was a crown issue the hp's would'nt shoot like a house a fire.

steveinwv
01-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Maybe the other bullets don't respond well to the new lower velocity. It is likely not a crown issue.