PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Scopes ???

Pages : 1 [2]

shovelheadave
12-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Had a Monarch 6.5x20 and the clarity wasn't so good, ended up taking it off and selling it.

masterblaster
12-16-2012, 04:53 PM
ManI just ordered a Monarch 6-25-50, I hope i didn't screw up. Went to bass pro and looked at various Luepolds Nikons and Bushnells, the all within the same power range, looking at the same light across the store, the Nikon seemed clearest. Oh well wife just stopped biching at me about this purchase, I will have to wait and see on this one.

texasgunclass
12-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I have 3 of the buckmasters 6-18 with the bdc on my 22-250's I like them they are good scopes I can hit pdogs past 400yds with them. I will be upgrading soon but for the money they served me well

acemisser
12-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Sounds all good..So are these fine cross hair or dot,etc....

J.Baker
12-22-2012, 10:59 AM
LOL...my first experience with Nikon was rather interesting. It was back when we did the two different comparison reviews for hunting and varmint scopes in 2004/5. Everything went fine up until I had to return the two Monarch scopes to Nikon at the conclusion of the review. Shipped them back to the NY address provided on the consignment invoice, but someone there thought it was a warranty return and forwarded it out to the warranty center in CA without even looking at the packing slip. About a month later I get a letter in the mail informing me that Nikon has turned me over to a collection agency for the amount of those two scopes, at which time the fun began. Called Nikon and got the run-around with about 10 people before they finally got me to the right person (some old gal in accounting). Gave her the UPS tracking number and the name of who signed for the package, then she had to call that person and the warranty center to confirm they had them, then it still took 3 months for the letters from the collection agency to stop. Needless to say I haven't tried to get a Nikon scope for review since.

That however has nothing to do with the quality of Nikon's optics, which I've never had a problem with. The lens coatings they used on those Monarch's seemed to flatten the image a little making it harder to tell if one item in the view is closer or farther away than another item in the view (i.e. is that bush closer or further away than that tree?) They also don't seem as bright in bright daylight (almost like they had a slight tint), but the low-light brightness has always been more than adequate for me. Just purchased a new M-223 2-8x32mm for my AR and so far from what I can tell it doesn't suffer from either of those conditions.

n4ue
12-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi, although I am new to this wonderful forum, I am a true 'old fart' when it comes to shooting. My personal experience might help you decide.
I currently own 29 scopes. I recently bought a new Monarch 4-16X42 due to all the good things I heard about them. I took the scope, and a handful of other spares to the ranch where I work part time. I had several of the guys (experienced hunters and shooters) look through them at a couple of targets at 75 yards.
Believe it or not, the Monarch came in almost last. One scope that 'tied' the Monarch was a Center Point from Wally World at $70.....
This was a group concensus, not just one person's opinion.
I sent the Nikon back (first time I ever did this) and purchased a Viper Vortex 6.5-20X50 SF. I LOVE this scope. From now on, when I need another scope, it will be a Vortex. I have read too many negative things about the Monarch. They just don't 'feel' like a quality scope......more like a toy.

ron

buckyne
12-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Not trying to threadjack. Wanted to let you know that Nikon did finally after 6 weeks replace the front lens covers. This was 3 days after I went back to Cabelas where I puchased the binos 3 years ago and asked for assistance. I had a call from the manager of the service dept within 12 hrs of my contacting Cabelas for help. The parts were on my door 3 days later. It was after I got back from my SD spot and stalk archery hunt so I did not have use of my binos( tag soup for me).

I really really like the glass for the money on the Nikon products that I have. However in my experience the warranty service is suspect. The people in their service dept that I dealt with are in NY or CA and seemed to have little or no empathy/ understanding of what good warranty/ customer service should be. I have a remington 700 that I have converted to a savage screw on with a CBI 308 barrel sitting in the gun cabinet. Nikon is not going on this rifle because of my experience. I have a 4.5-14 BDC buckmaster sitting in the closet still in the box that will be either returned to Cabelas or sold. I am getting ready to purchase a scope for this rifle and I am trying to decide between leupold and Zeiss.