PDA

View Full Version : My Savage Classic 14

back40
11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
This year I purchased a Savage Classic 14 .308 for deer hunting where shots are no longer than 150 yards. I have tore the rifle down and adjusted the accutrigger down to it's lowest settings. I mounted a Bushnell Elite 3x9x40 scope on it with a 0 moa weaver tactical 1 pc. base. I don't know the name of the rings cause the dealer I got the gun from throwed them in the deal. I need to purchase some good quality low rings. Any suggestions on rings for a 1" tube? Also I have shot only 30 rounds of ammo thru it. The best groups I am getting is from Federal GK BTSP 168 gr. Average groups are .841 moa.@100 yds. Should I just shoot it some more and see if my groups get smaller and should I be happy with that group average if it doesn't improve any? This is only the second bolt action rifle I have owned and I don't know what is accecptable as far as groups go. Thanks guys.

ellobo
11-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Any other maker of rifles would be ecstatic if they got groups from their rifles as good as.841 MOA. It sure is what some refer to as great minute of deer. I would be a little leery of a very light trigger for hunting. 3 lbs is my minimum. Go online to the Midway USA website and check what they have for low rings. There is no doubt the groups will shrink as you shoot it. Just check for coppering occasionally in the bore and you should be OK. Savages will copper up until they are shot in and the barrel smooths out. 168 Gr. bullets are a good choice. .841 groups with factory ammo is pretty darn good.

El Lobo

back40
11-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks ellobo. 3 lbs. is about as low as I could get my trigger and it feels good. My last rifle was 2 1/2 lbs and that is about as low as I would want. In fact it was a little to light. You right on about trigger pull. I am really happy with my first Savage. I am thinking about building a 7mm.08 in the future. Thanks for the info. Good shootin...Dave

stomp442
11-20-2012, 08:20 PM
.841 is definitely more than acceptable for a 150 yard shot. I would suggest the Burris signature zee rings.

teebirdhyzer
11-20-2012, 09:52 PM
congrats on the new rifle. That is some really good shooting for the first ammo you tried. Definately way more than good enough for deer hunting. I have a savage "Custom Classic" I built in .270, a "Classic" model 25 in .223, and just ordered one like yours in .308. I think they are very fine rifles!

back40
11-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Thank you all

I did some research on rifle cleaning and invested in a Tipton rod and a bore guide as well as a torque wrench.. I want to take care of it right.

What size jag do you all use. I got a .30 cal. Bore Tech Proof Positive patch jag and it is to tight. The specs said it was for .308 cal. I tried cutting the patches down and I still can't get the jag and patch thru the barrel. I didn't force it to hard but enough that it should have went thru. I need to get the right jag if yall can suggest one.

Sorry for the rookie questions.

stangfish
11-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I am reading your posts and aside from the rings being "throwed" in to the deal, you seem pretty sharp to me. This ain't your first rodeo...... Bushnell Elite, tipton, 3 lb trigger and jags.

Try these for your rings.
http://swfa.com/Savage-C2564.aspx

or these
http://swfa.com/Warne-Maxima-Quick-Detach-1-Rings-P9914.aspx

back40
11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
When I made the deal with my gun dealer I asked him to mount my Bushnell scope and he was going to use Leupold bases and rings.. He ended up not having any so he used what he had (I think they are B-Square) junk. So he gave them to me. I needed the rifle then and I figured I would just buy a good base and rings. I settled on the Weaver 1 pc. tactical base and I like it but I haven't decided on any rings yet.

Most of what I know I learned from you all. This is a great site with a great bunch of folks with know how.Thanks for the tips stangfish. I will check them out for sure.

back40
11-21-2012, 04:19 AM
.841 is definitely more than acceptable for a 150 yard shot. I would suggest the Burris signature zee rings.

These rings are what I just ordered. They will work great for what I'm wanting to do.

outback andy
11-21-2012, 04:29 AM
congrats on the new rifle. That is some really good shooting for the first ammo you tried. Definately way more than good enough for deer hunting. I have a savage "Custom Classic" I built in .270, a "Classic" model 25 in .223, and just ordered one like yours in .308. I think they are very fine rifles!

Teebird, how is your classic model 25 in the .223 working out ? i,m thinking of getting one, does it shoot tight groups.

teebirdhyzer
11-21-2012, 01:56 PM
OP...hope this is not hijacking.

Yes, and I love it. I got mine about 2 years ago because I'm a sucker for a good walnut stock and the classic look. I just grabbed a couple of targets out of the pile in my shop, and it looks like .357 @ 140 yds is the best I've done with it....an that's with 140grain vmax factory Fiocchi!

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG-20121121-00057.jpg

back40
11-21-2012, 03:00 PM
No problem at all teebird. That's some fine shootin for sure. I'm not sure if I am measureing m.o.a. right. I had two shots touching and one that was .841 measured center to center to the two holes that had the biggest spread. How do y'all measure m.o.a.

teebirdhyzer
11-21-2012, 03:42 PM
I just measure center to center of the two farthest away holes from each other with some digital calipers. Sounds like you are doing the same. The "correct" or right way to do it (I think) is to measure the outside to outside of the farthest two holes and then subtract the average diameter of the actual holes in the paper. Same result, just more accurate than estimating the center of the holes.