PDA

View Full Version : Building a 7mm rem mag Please advise..

KTP
11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Gang,
I'm about to embark on building a 7mm Rem Mag hunting rifle and wanted help answering a few questions as I'm somewhat new to this caliber.
Should I look for a detach mag model? What barrel contour and length? What action? Any favorite hunting stocks?
Thanks all!

stangfish
11-19-2012, 12:26 AM
My thoughts;
Detachable mag - nice but it's a luxury that is up to you and your tastes.
Barrel contour/length - Magnum contour at 24 inches minimum and 26 if you're in a stand doing your hunting. Some would argue that you need a 26 to see the full potential of the 7 mag.
Action - the stainless actions in the 114 or 116 line are desirable. Other than that and you have the ability to choose, any centerfeed action is GTG.
Stock - If money is no object the M40A1 from McMillan is a good choice but the Bell and Carson stocks are good to go as well. The Boyds stock works with the 300 win mag and handles the recoil well. If this is a woods gun for stalking go with a synthetic type. If you are interested in a nice factory wood stock pm me for nfo.

If your parts list comes in over 1200 look at this..........http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/fs-savage-111-7rm-101791/

These are just some suggestions based on my opinions. Your milage may vary.

Nandy
11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I built one this summer. It is a hunting rifle but I tried to build it so I can target shoot with it also. Looking forward to start challenging my self 300 yds and over.
Anyway, Stangfish has good advise. In my case I added a brake. I love to see my bullet impact and since I use hearing protection all the time the increase in noise level dont bother me. My stats are Brux (SSS) 7MM RM, 1-9, 26", Varmint Barrel, SSS Brake in a 110 flat rear receiver action. Since we dont do any stalking and we shoot most of the time from boxes the added weight dont bother either. Worst walk I do is about 500 yds give or take. It does very good, generally under .5" at 200 yards and I am sure I am the limiting factor.
Good luck, have fun, we want pictures!