PDA

View Full Version : My first coyotes...a double!

helotaxi
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
So yesterday I'm on a guided cow elk hunt and sitting with my dad over a water hole trying and failing at getting comfortable and staying awake while waiting for the elk to show. We'd been sitting about 2 hours and I was dozing when my dad says "Coyote!"

That wakes me up and I glance up at the berm on the watering hole to see a coyote facing us head-on at exactly 150yds. Within 15 seconds or so there are 4 of them there around the watering hole. We're getting bored and impatient with the elk and decide to lay the smack down on a coyote. One of them had walked down next to the water and I put the crosshairs on the shoulder and touched of the 7 WSM. He dropped like hit by lightning and the others scattered.

I chamber another round and hand my dad the spent brass and about that time he points to my 2 o'clock and says "There he is!" As I'm swinging the rifle around this one sees us and bolts for the next county.

About the time things settle down a bit, three come back up over the berm to the watering hole. I told my dad to hold his ears and dropped a second one.

Same drill as before, jack in another round, hand my dad the spent brass and the coyote that had run back over the berm when I shot the second one reappeared on top of the berm. At this point we're almost laughing as I throw down on this one and fire a third shot. He half runs, half falls off the berm away from us and disappears...and as I'm ejecting the round, it dawns on me: I'm out of ammo! The guide and my other friend had headed back to camp (40 miles away) to clean his elk and taken my truck. We weren't expecting them back for two and a half more hours.

Long story short, that elk stand was a bust, but two coyotes were DRT with the smaller one nearly blown in half. We looked a bit for the third one and found bits of bloody flesh where he was standing when I shot him and some more down the trail he used for his escape. We chalked him up as a "probable".

Once I get the pictures off my dad's camera, I'll post them up. It will be in this thread because I was actually shooting my one "non-Savage" bolt rifle.

22-250
12-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Congrats on your first Coyotes.