PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FPSR problem

vixtar
11-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but i didnt think it needed to be under help me decide.

Earlier today i went and picked up my Model 10 FPSR, after getting it home and reading all the instructions for the installation of the bolt, and reading up on the 3 stage safety on the rifle. I then went and put the bolt into the rifle just as it was shown to me in the instructions.

From here i have an annoying little problem, the gun will lock and be ready to fire. But for some reason the bolt knob will not go down next to the stock the way it looks like it supposed too. After a little more research, the manual says the rifle is supposed to go into stage 3 safety when the bolt is closed, but my rifle will NOT lock into the first stage of the safety when it is closed. Looking down at the action i watched just what the safety did, and i noticed that when my bolt says it is fully closed, it is out of alignment, the safety will not slide into the notch made for it, where the bolt and trigger are both suppose to lock into position.

So what i am wondering, is there anyway to fix this alignment issue without sending it back to Savage? Or do i need to just send it back to them and wait for whatever the turn around time is?

TIA

Vix

thomae
11-18-2012, 08:30 AM
The most likely culprits are the forward action screw or the rearmost of the forward scope mount screws.

Loosen your forward action screw and see if the bolt now goes all the way into battery. If it is too long, it can extend into the action and interfere with the bolt.

if a scope mount screw is too long, it can do the same thing, so check those as well.

There could be other problems, but these are the "usual" cause of your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

vixtar
11-18-2012, 05:13 PM
The most likely culprits are the forward action screw or the rearmost of the forward scope mount screws.

Loosen your forward action screw and see if the bolt now goes all the way into battery. If it is too long, it can extend into the action and interfere with the bolt.

if a scope mount screw is too long, it can do the same thing, so check those as well.

There could be other problems, but these are the "usual" cause of your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

And thanks to you for giving me information i didnt think of before, it was indeed the rear most screw on the forward mount for the scope, i had already checked the action screw and that wasnt it, and with this message i checked that mounting screw, it took a few turns and then it locked down just like it is suppose to.

Thanks!

thomae
11-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Cool. I love being helpful.
...and now you know something you didn't before...and you can pass it along to someone else, as I did.