PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Savage 110

Carl1783
11-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Hello everyone. I wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I am a new member and am hoping to learn more about these guns.

I picked up this 110 through a trade a few days ago and I was hoping you might tell me more about it, as it is my first Savage.

I have not fired it yet.

Caliber: 7mm Rem. Mag.
It is an all stainless variant, in decent shape I suppose. The wood is beat up a bit and the finish is peeling away near the butt. (I intend to refinish the stock).
There is some very minor surface rust around the action which I think can be cleaned up when I take it all apart.
Bolt has quite a bit of play when open, but operates smoothly and locks up tight.
Trigger has some play to it from side to side.
Bore looks good, rifling is in good shape.
It had dovetailed iron sights at one point, but have been removed.

http://i48.tinypic.com/xm73ev.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/14tzq8.jpg

From my guess, this 110 is from the mid to late 1960's? Serial number is five digits, 42xxx. Barrel has stampings/proof marks with 9p, sp, and 29p.

I know Savages are good, inexpensive, accurate rifles but they are plentiful, so is there anything particular about this model I should be aware of before I strip it down?

Thanks!

-Carl

Blue Avenger
11-18-2012, 09:28 AM
there a raised ring around the barrel where the dovetail site slide in?

Carl1783
11-19-2012, 01:02 AM
there a raised ring around the barrel where the dovetail site slide in?

Yes it has the ring on the front sight base.

Also, I am pretty sure it is a nickel coating not stainless.

ellobo
11-19-2012, 01:41 AM
If it has rust it is probably not stainless. From the pictures it looks like used and abused probably from hard use hunting but at some point not taken care of. It is probably OK as a shooter. I see what may be marks on the barrel nut grooves. If there are it is a good bet that barrel has been off the rifle at one time. What are you planning on doing with this rifle? and what is the scope brand?

El Lobo

Carl1783
11-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Ellobo,

Yes, after further investigation I think it's nickel coated. It is beat up, but how much could that affect accuracy? Since the barrel might have been removed previously, is there anything I should check for?

I plan to use this gun for hunting. Scope is a Tasco (I know they suck).

Ray Gunter
11-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Looks like a hunter to me. Most of my hunters could be relatives of that rifle.

In my mind the first thing to do is clean it and go shoot. If the result is pleasing ..... go hunt.
When time allows refinish the stock (after the hunt).

scythefwd
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
If the barrel has been off before, I'd get the headspace checked before shooting, but its all on you. In all likelyhood, he shot it after putting the barrel back on.. so it's more than likely fine.