PDA

View Full Version : B&C Medalist Varmint/ Tactical stock maximum barrel size?

MDHOGGER
11-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I was looking at the Medalist Varmint/Tactical stock #2999 for a Stevens Action with the 4.27" action screw spacing. It says the barrel channel is sized for the heavy varmint barrel but is there enough room available for a straight tube size of 1.00". Also if there is enough room can the B&C Medalist stocks be mill out by my gunsmith without chipping or compromising the stock integrity. And would there be enough of the sides rail at the end of the fore end not to look too thin. Thanks Bill

KRP
11-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Plenty of stock at the forend for a straight cylinder. Probably not worth setting up in a mill for the amount of material that needs removed.

pdog06
11-17-2012, 09:20 PM
for a straight tube you will only need to open up about the last 4 inches of the barrel channel. I have done quite a few and they have all been this way. If you use a 1inch wooden dowel with 80grit sandpaper wrapped around it, it should take you about 20 minutes to complete the task.

MDHOGGER
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I decided to take a look at possible using the B&C Savage Dura Maxx stock also, partly because I can get it for half the price of the B&C Medalist. I am assuming it too could be opened up too for a straight bull barrel, am I right? I know it is about 1/2 pound lighter in weight and a smaller profile overall. However what I wanted to know what is the approximate forearm taper/ maximum width of these stocks. Thanks Again Bill

gopherslayer
11-22-2012, 12:32 AM
The duramaxx is flimsy in the fore-end compared to the medalist. I have both and use the medalist for the 1" diameter barrel of my 260. I use the duramaxx for the 223 varmint barrel. Much lighter rig.